Using deerskin or elk lace

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Using deerskin or elk lace

Postby wickedwoman11 » September 7th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Has anyone ever used any of these types of laces to relace a glove before?

I have never seen any in person, I just saw them on Tandy's website and I'm just wondering if they are too soft and stretchy to use for a glove used in gameplay. They seem awful soft and not very strong.

Alas, they just seem to be closer to the color I'm searching for (as opposed to the orange tan used in "regular" glove laces).
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » September 9th, 2008, 5:42 pm

There is a leather supply store a few minutes from my house. They carry just about every item in the Tandy catalog, so I've had a chance to look at these deer and elk laces up close.

"Too stretchy" and "not very strong" are the two thoughts I got when checking them out. I could honestly see this type of lace breaking in a high-stress area- like the webbing- after just a few games or hard hits.

At the least, I would imagine that the glove would become floppy really fast as the laces stretched out.

Based on what I saw, I skipped these laces- so I've never actually tried them to find out for sure. Maybe my impressions were way off base, but I suspect many of the mebers of this forum would agree.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » September 9th, 2008, 10:26 pm

BretMan wrote:"Too stretchy" and "not very strong" are the two thoughts I got when checking them out. I could honestly see this type of lace breaking in a high-stress area- like the webbing- after just a few games or hard hits.
Maybe my impressions were way off base, but I suspect many of the mebers of this forum would agree.

That's my read on those laces. I really like a tough cow hide lace. Tanner's, Glovesmith etc. I am still waiting on samples from Triple D. Have called them twice and everything, but no laces yet. Do they really want to sell their products?
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » September 9th, 2008, 10:31 pm

still waiting on Triple D samples myself, after several weeks, phone calls and emails.
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby offsidewing » September 9th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Mmmm... Elk. A little salt and olive oil marinate. Mmmm... Elk...
Aim for the corners and let the middle take care of itself.
offsidewing
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration