Replacing thumb loop/pinky loop laces

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Replacing thumb loop/pinky loop laces

Postby wickedwoman11 » September 4th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Anyone know if there are laces out there to use in replacing the thumb and pinky loop laces, since they are so much thicker than the regular 3/16" laces used elsewhere? If I stick with chocolate laces on my glove, I'd like to turn those brown as well...
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » September 4th, 2008, 8:28 pm

None of the gloves I've done appear to have laces in those two areas. They look like pieces of leather sewn into the glove so they don't appear to be an easy fix.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » September 4th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Loops are a big job...have to take glove apart. Many relacing experts won't touch that job...don't feel bad. You might have to send to Nokona or to Mr Jenkins.
- A baseball glove is a beginning and an ending: a boy's first sure step towards manhood; a man's final, lingering hold on youth; it is promise...and memory.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby dwags4him » September 11th, 2008, 6:06 pm

If you can (and you have shown that you can) relace a glove correctly, it is not that hard to make a new thumb or pinkie loop.....the way that they are installed is hard to replicate, but this is the way I have discovered that lets me cheat.

First....grab a trashy old glove which has leather color which approximates your current glove.....then cut out the new thumb loops of the palm or fingers of the glove leather....(this is beter explained in a picture I cannot make)....

Instead of worrying about sewing the new thumb loop into the palm lining of the glove leather, you can simply drill two holes into the base of the loop and use the lace that wraps around the heel to hold the new loop in place.

If I remember correctly, in a Nokona, they hide the thumb and pinkie loops under the palm lining, leaving two slots for the thumb loop. This can also be foiled by making the too base ends a little longer and then lacing them into the heel lace as before, thus hiding the work and using the holes that Nokona left in their linign at first.

If that is too convoluted, and it might be, call me and I can try and talk you through it.

Dave
David Wagner
Play It Again Sports Northbrook
847-564-9180

I service all gloves brought to PIAS Schaumburg, Villa Park, Oak Lawn, and Northbrook.

847-899-5423 [Cell]
dwags4him
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » September 11th, 2008, 7:05 pm

dwags4him wrote: Instead of worrying about sewing the new thumb loop into the palm lining of the glove leather, you can simply drill two holes into the base of the loop and use the lace that wraps around the heel to hold the new loop in place.

This is how I do it when I replace a thumb/pinkie loop. It seemes to work fine.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration