Pics from relacing my Nokona buffalo w/ chocolate lace

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Pics from relacing my Nokona buffalo w/ chocolate lace

Postby wickedwoman11 » September 2nd, 2008, 1:37 am

Well, in theory it was a good idea. I'm happy that I did a better job than I did on hubby's Easton (who freaked out and told me not to go anywhere NEAR the gamer glove). But I'm not so sure that I like the chocolate laces on it after all. I like the back, where the brown lace and the brown Nokona embroidery match, and I guess ditto on the front where my name is embroidered. But on the whole, I think the tan just looked a lot cleaner -- this one seems less attractive to me.

I needed to relace it, which I really found out when I pulled out the old cracked decrepit laces, but I may redo it in tan. On the upside, where the last one took all weekend, my locking needle and I did this one in only a few hours.

Both my spouse and my Mom liked the new chocolate laces. But I just don't know. I kind of feel like I ruined my most prized possession. I'm leaning towards redoing it in the tan. On the other hand, I do like the way it matches the script. Sigh. Decisions, decisions... :?

New version...

Old version...
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jackdaddy » September 2nd, 2008, 7:41 am

Nice job Staci! Gotta say though, that I like the chocolate better than your original tan laces.
jackdaddy
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » September 2nd, 2008, 9:12 am

Staci,
I must agree with jackdaddy, the chocolate laces look much better than the original. It brings out the character in your glove. The natural laces are just kind of bland. It brings out a different personality in your glove, but you'll get used to that. Nice job, good work. Now, I have to ask you, wasn't that fun?? LOL An interesting fact about glove re-lacing, some of the older gloves are a breeze to do, really straightforward, especially the vintage Wilsons and the Rawlings. Some of the more modern gloves can get quite confusing at times. And I won't even get into the gloves that people hand me for re-lacing that are being held together with speaker wire, twist ties, plastic zip ties, shoelaces, etc. I even had one glove where the last two fingers were hooked together with one of those big staples (the ones that are used to seal boxes) through the lacing holes and crimped over at the ends! When people love their gloves, they will do anything to keep them in the game.

br

By the way, I love the black/red combo on your s/o glove. I have done several gloves that way and I really like that combination.
wjr953

Postby rmiller » September 2nd, 2008, 9:47 am

Staci,
Beautiful job! The chocolate lace looks great! I agree that you should leave it. Very well done. Before and after photos are very rewarding to look at after working on glove, and all the frustration that can come with a relace. You did great. Now, time to break that thing in again, huh. :)
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » September 2nd, 2008, 12:14 pm

wjr953 wrote:By the way, I love the black/red combo on your s/o glove. I have done several gloves that way and I really like that combination.

Yeah, you mean the black/red glove I jacked up? Lots of grumbling and muttering in my house about how now it has to be redone properly. Hahahaha. I plan to now redo my backup TrapEze Rawlings in the red laces though, I like the color combo.

Interesting, all you guys like the chocolate better. Maybe I need to let it grow on me for a while and see before I rip out the chocolate and redo it in tan like I planned to do tonight.
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » September 2nd, 2008, 12:47 pm

guess I'm in the minority here because I don't like the brown either. not that it looks bad I just prefer the look of fresh tan laces on a glove. sure it matches your name but the thumb loop is still tan and the piping is tan

the chocolate does stand out quite a bit but I would imagine brand new tan would too....just get another one and do it in tan...nothing wrong with two Nokona's
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » September 2nd, 2008, 1:07 pm

dapert- Don’t get me wrong. I think brand new tan lace would have looked great also. Both would be great. But I certainly wouldn’t pull all the chocolate lace out, to put tan in at this point. :o
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » September 2nd, 2008, 2:36 pm

Staci,
The black/red combo still looks great to me, but that's only one persons' opinion. If you think you gaffed up hubby's back-up glove, you should have seen the first glove that I ever re-laced. To say that it came out horrible would be high praise indeed. I learned the hard way and I am much better today because of the mistakes I made negotiating the learning curve. Yes, I have pictures of this glove and no, I absolutely will not post them.

Stay with the chocolate laces, the glove looks good.

br
wjr953

Postby BuffaloGlover » September 2nd, 2008, 4:34 pm

Staci,

Great job! Hold off on pulling those chocolate laces just yet. Give it a few days and mull it over. Now that you are more comfortable with the re-lacing process, it won't take you long to reverse the process. Personally, I think it looks great with them on and thanks to you, I will be using chocolate on my Buffalo when the time comes.

The black/red looks awesome as well!
BuffaloGlover
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » September 2nd, 2008, 4:40 pm

Nice job Staci! You need to work on your knots next. A while back I learned how to tie perfect knots so now I can spot the difference :)
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » September 2nd, 2008, 4:58 pm

Mike 2007 wrote:
A while back I learned how to tie perfect knots

Dude! Let's hear it! What's the secret?
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » September 2nd, 2008, 6:05 pm

I think this is the one: http://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Reef.htm

You want to end up with both ends of the lace "shinny side up" so it looks best...
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » September 2nd, 2008, 9:09 pm

Square knot..~sheesh~ those folks on that website must never have been scouts.
FYI its left over right, right over left in other words hold each side in one hand, place the left side over the right side and then tuck it under and pull it tight, then place the right side over the left and tuck it under, start titghtening and adjust the side you want facing up as you tighten
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Chocolate Laces

Postby GloveGypsy » September 3rd, 2008, 6:20 pm

Hello Guys,
Hello WW11,

I also like the work that Staci has done on her glove and agree with BuffaloGlover that you should give yourself a chance to accept the different look of your "baby".

As mentioned before, laces are relatively inexpensive, so use those for a while, and then switch 'em if you want. I think you will get some nice compliments at the ballpark, and maybe even a few requests like: "can you put chocolate laces in my glove?"

I have done many for friends gratis, others pay a nominal charge $25-$50 depending on who they are and the situation.

If you do decide to go back to an Indian tan lace, Nokona will probably send you some original color laces for that glove, You should take a few minutes to contact them about your project. They are very nice people and I am happy to hear about their continued progress after the fire a couple of years ago.

On the knots, you guys are right. Square knots will stay knotted much better than the granny knots that Stace currently has tied. Also, they look much more polished and professional.

Staci, look at the knots on some new gloves and some of the forum members. The knots are a nuance, but there is a big difference in performance and looks. Discerning as you are, I think you will agree.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » September 3rd, 2008, 11:16 pm

Hey, great job on the buff glove! I really like the choco-laces, although I completely understand your mixed feelings right now. I would stay with the choco-laces for a season or so ... get used to looking at the glove now ... When I had my A2124 George Brett redone in black laces, contrasting with the orange tan leather that Wilson used on those gloves, I thought at first how cool it looked, and then I was afraid it was too "modified" looking ... and then the look REALLY grew on me ... and now the unmodified A2124's I see on ebay look really strange to me! :roll: :lol: Same with my Dale Murphy OR520. Now I can't see it any other way!
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration