(Question) Making a Glove Fit more Snug

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

(Question) Making a Glove Fit more Snug

Postby sixpointone » August 23rd, 2008, 5:19 pm

Hi All,

I have a question in regards to my favorite Baseball Glove I own, a Wilson A2K 1796.

I love everything about it, with one exception.

When I wear it, it is with a Palmgard XTRA underneath. And despite that, it fits a little bit more loosely in the Wrist area than I would like.

My question is would someone like Earl Malone be able to do anything to the Glove to make it have a more snug fit?

My (uneducated) guess would be that he could cut the Wrist Strap off and readjust it, allowing for a slightly tighter fit.

Do you all think that something like this would be possible and if so does anyone know what measurement might be needed?

I'll likely give Earl a call on Monday.

All My Best,
John
sixpointone
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby sixpointone » August 27th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Hi All,

I decided to post here to follow up on my earlier request.

After speaking with Earl he said that the most simple way to achieve what I am hoping for would be to punch a couple of new holes on the Wrist for the Lacing to go into. While that makes sense I would prefer that the look of the Glove look the same, even if there is a greater cost to it.

Thus, I decided to take a long shot and see if anyone here might have any first hand experience, or any feedback, on how this could be done.

My only (uneducated) guess would be to basically totally disassemble the Glove and then rebuild it. Which in that case I might be best served using it as already is.

All My Best,
John
sixpointone
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » August 28th, 2008, 12:11 am

I had the exact same problem with my "Louis Vuitton" A2000-INF, so I'll share my fix.

Ever notice those extra pair of holes on the pinky side of the wrist? I always assumed it was to adjust the size of the wrist opening. Whether I was correct or not, I ended up unlacing the wrist, and moving it over so it used those holes. I wasn't easy, as you have to thread the lace between a couple of layers of leather, then make it come out again in another hole. The modification is holding up well and it really did snug up the wrist.

BEFORE

AFTER
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » August 28th, 2008, 12:25 am

One vital piece of information I'd give you (or anyone) before attempting that modification. Before you pull the laces completely out, loosen the laces to get the hang of the lacing pattern, and most importantly, DRAW YOURSELF A DIAGRAM SO CAN CAN REFER BACK TO IT. It's really easy to screw yourself, even on a relatively simple pattern like this one.
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby sixpointone » September 7th, 2008, 2:14 pm

Hi Musashi,

Thank You very much for the suggestion as well as for the detailed Pictures.

That said, I am going to pass on doing that on my Glove, at least for now, for two reasons.

The first is that I actually do not see the extra Holes on the Wrist Strap on my Glove.

The second reason is that as small as a detail as it might seem to others, I am not a fan of how the Centering of the Logo somewhat shifts with this procedure. I believe that if the Holes do not exist that they could be added, but I'm not sure that is the way I'd want to go.

At this I'm unsure what other options, if any I might have. I was just hoping that someway, somehow, that the Glove could almost be disassembled and put back together while looking almost the exact same.

Thanks again for your feedback, it is much appreciated!

All My Best,
John
sixpointone
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby dodgerblue » September 9th, 2008, 1:08 pm

depending on how much tighter you may need it to fit , i would tighten the leather lacing -take slack out of the whole heel portion from thumb portion to the pinky portion especially near the joints where the hand opening is on both sides ,ive dont this on a few gloves for the same reason ,i hope idescribed it well enough to understand ,its too simple not to try and nothing will be altered when done properly . good luck !
dodgerblue
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby docglov » September 9th, 2008, 1:31 pm

Actually its not hard just count the holes on the little finger side of the heel lacing. then add a new one at the bottom, back out heel lace from that side and catch new hole with the matching hole in the palm and lining it will probably give you six holes laced down then relace. would draw a picture but don't know how
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby dodgerblue » September 9th, 2008, 2:04 pm

docglov wrote:Actually its not hard just count the holes on the little finger side of the heel lacing. then add a new one at the bottom, back out heel lace from that side and catch new hole with the matching hole in the palm and lining it will probably give you six holes laced down then relace. would draw a picture but don't know how
bingo ! was going to mention that also , but he seems hesitant to alter the glove , proubly the best route as you mentioned and in the end wouldnt look altered after its done , a little time ,ballgame on tv ,glove tools and a couple of beers=fun !
dodgerblue
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration