re-shaping an old glove

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

re-shaping an old glove

Postby 643DP » August 5th, 2008, 11:03 pm

I reecently picked ap an old a2005 in nice shape except it is flat as a book--any ideas on how to put some shape back in it--Thanks Much
643DP
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: re-shaping an old glove

Postby glovemedic » August 5th, 2008, 11:58 pm

643DP wrote:I reecently picked ap an old a2005 in nice shape except it is flat as a book--any ideas on how to put some shape back in it--Thanks Much

Relace it, clean it with Lexol leather cleaner, let it dry and condition it w/ either Lexol NF or brown bottle. I usually drape the damp glove on the corner of a chair back to dry. This seems to help it retain an open pocket shape.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » August 6th, 2008, 11:16 am

Chuck,
You're right on the money. Re-lacing will bring shape back to the glove. I see this with lots of older gloves. They lay at the bottom of an equipment bag or a closet and they get flat as a pancake. Not good for the leather, at all. If you follow Chuck's instructions, your glove will revert back to it's natural shape. Also, when you put it away after the season is done, put a softball or two in the pocket and wrap it with an old clean rag or t-shirt (not super tight), to help the glove maintain it's shape.

br
wjr953

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration