Question about anhydrous lanolin

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Question about anhydrous lanolin

Postby dapert » July 29th, 2008, 12:53 am

I bought a big ole tub of lanolin on eBay and from reading other topics I believe it's anhydrous because it's brownish like caramel and very thick.

I've noticed that hydrous seems to be the lanolin of choice here. Is it simply a matter of just mixing water to what I've got? That certianly would make it a bit easier to work with and I guess give me more product. If I can just add water does anyone know what % of water makes up hydrous lanolin?

I mixed a little bit with petroleum jelly and some Fiebings neatsfoot oil and it came out looking and feeling like butter that was left on the counter for a bit. Very easy to work with but a bit different result than the lanolin alone.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » July 29th, 2008, 1:54 am

The Hydrous Lanolin I have does not have the % of water listed. It only gives Active ingredients-Lanolin USP (725 mg).

Inactive ingredients- purified water USP

Brett sent me the info about it a while back. NDC number 0168-0051-16

I called around to several pharmacies to check prices and see who had it, and K-Mart ordered it for me. It was just under $15 bucks for a one pound tub, and they had it for me in their pharmacy the next day. I was quite surprised at the price differences for the same product, and also who could get it, and who couldn't. It’s great stuff.
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » July 29th, 2008, 7:52 am

I also have a 1# tub of the annhydrous lanolin but it is white with a touch of yellow in it. Definitely not dark. It is possible we have different grades of the same material. I would not attempt to rehydrate it with water, either use a SMALL amount on your fingers or a rag and work it into the leather or mix it as you have with your other favorite treatments.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » July 29th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Not sure. I never even heard of the stuff until I joined here. I got it from SSI on eBay. The picture looks more yellow but the tub I got is much darker and very thick. It works great and goes a long, long way with just a little bit. The tub it came in says pure lanolin. Don't get me wrong I love the results but if I can mess with it a bit and get it to go further then even better.

I guess I can experiment with a bit with water and see how it comes out. I bought a 32oz tub so I think I have enough to last me a decade.

If you've ever seen the Wilson Pro Stock stuff it looks very similar in color but a tad bit darker and much thicker.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

PURE LANOLIN

Postby Glovenut 1 » December 4th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Hi;

You're doing things right if you're using pure Lanolin. Yeah- it's pasty, stinky, and quite sticky; but I find that putting the plastic container on the window sill on a sunny day makes it easier to apply.

You not only give your glove THE BEST conditioning, as you know- you get some very beautiful coloration in certain leathers- especially the dry Horween Tan.

It's good to use Lexol first if the glove is a bit dirty. Apply the Lanolin while the glove is still a bit damp from the Lexol- you'll get a gorgeous bronze color with the Tan leathers. The Lexol I use is the one with Neatsfoot oil mixed with it. Fantastic stuff!

Beware of dreaded sand on the leather. It'll destroy your glove in no time.

Cheers,

Glovenut 1
Your next glove will be the best one you own!
Glovenut 1
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: PURE LANOLIN

Postby wjr953 » December 5th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Last edited by wjr953 on December 6th, 2008, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
wjr953

Postby opticsp » December 5th, 2008, 9:10 pm

That's true wjr but I have to say the lexol cleaner with the lanolin conditioning is sweet. 8)
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration