ink removal?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

ink removal?

Postby GoldGlove » July 28th, 2008, 1:03 pm

what is the best way to get rid of ink on a globe without darkening the leather?
GoldGlove
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » July 28th, 2008, 2:00 pm

PAGE 72, GLOVE AFFAIRS RECOMMENDS EXTRA FINE 320-GRIT TYPE BLACK SILICON CARBIDE SANDPAPER AND LEXOL...
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » January 13th, 2009, 5:12 pm

I just took a generous amount of ink off a Rawlings PG38 glove. Rub softly and keep using that same piece of sandpaper on the glove (it removes less the more you use it).

Initially I tried to remove the ink and then I tried to feather in the areas that were clean to the rest of the glove body. Using the same sandpaper I think helped do this.

Hope this helps.

I also used 320 grit paper. I'm not sure it was silicone enhanced.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Chicago Red Sox Fan » January 13th, 2009, 6:51 pm

"Silicone enhanced"? Aren't we leaving the realm of baseball gloves now? :wink:
Chicago Red Sox Fan
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » January 14th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Chicago Red Sox Fan wrote:"Silicone enhanced"? Aren't we leaving the realm of baseball gloves now? :wink:

I was going off the earlier post. I just stopped by a local lumber company and spent $1.30 on two sheets of 8 1/2" X 11" pieces.

I cut a 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" square and went to town with it. I had good results removing just a bit at a time.

Hitting it with Glovolium between sandings.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

ink removal

Postby cbrandis » February 16th, 2009, 5:10 pm

new product on the market for removal of tatoos. item is called
Wrecking Balm. Expensive, and I have yet to use on gloves, but it does remove ink from living leather (OK, your skin).
Other than that, I agree with the sandpaper. But I clean before and after with alcohol, to dry the leather. Then after a couple of rounds of sandpaper , alcohol, dry, I use a little bit of shoe polish (usually a shade or two darker than the glove). Blend in well so color fades into context with rest of glove. After all that, condition area carefully with your fav conditioning product (my fav is Horseman's One Step)
Repeat process and in a few hours, you cannot tell that ink was there.
cbrandis
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » March 13th, 2009, 8:46 pm

I've had decent success with the sandpaper procedure as of late. There have been a few gloves that customers have requested this service on (I'm not charging a fee for this because of the varying degrees of success).

320 grit is GTG!
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Magic Marker

Postby bronxbomber609 » March 16th, 2009, 5:32 pm

I just cleaned a glove with Orange spray and then used Mr. Clean Eraser on it , it did this a few times and it cleaned the magic marker off really well
Good Luck to Us
Thanks
Romeo
bronxbomber609
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » March 31st, 2009, 10:00 pm

I tried the Mr. Clean Eraser...it just ate the sponge up. Those things are not cheap.

I'll stick with the sand paper.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Leather Dye

Postby rrivets » June 11th, 2009, 3:04 pm

I've had success using leather dye but the hard part is finding a color dye that matches the color of the glove leather. Once you find a similar color let the dye dry and then rub some mud or dirt on the area that was dyed and when the dries some wipe it off and let it sit a few days before conditioning. It is a tough procedure but I have some gloves where you can't imaging the junk that was written on them. Good luck.
rrivets
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration