Unidentified A2000: Before & After

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Unidentified A2000: Before & After

Postby Musashi » July 4th, 2008, 6:40 pm

I've haven't had this A2000 for very long, and I never thought it really needed any work. But after sitting around for a couple of days after returning from San Fran, I had some time on my hands and I broke out the lanolin and Lexol. I really didn't think the glove would darken as much as it did, but I really like the way it turned out - let me know what you think. And if somebody could kindly identify the specific year and model of this glove, I'd appreciate it!

Before

After
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » July 4th, 2008, 8:35 pm

I'm curious about using Lexol and Lanolin. Did you use one, buff off, then use the other? One over another in certain areas?

I love how it turned out. It looks great. My wife walked by my desk as I was looking at the last picture, and she said, “wow, that’s beautiful!”

Very nice work.
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » July 4th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Thanks for the compliment - it's probably the camera! Anyway, unless the glove is absolutely filthy (which this one wasn't), I'll always use lanolin first. I'll let the glove drink it in overnight, then the next day, I'll buff it then start cleaning the glove with Lexol cleaner (orange bottle) and a clean cloth. I'll treat the whole glove, but I'll concentrate on especially dirty areas with a soft toothbrush. Then, if the patches need cleaning I'll do it then, but if not (as in this case), I'll let it sit overnight. The next day, I'll buff it again, then go over the glove with a light coat of Lexol NF, then immediately seal it in with a light coat of Vaseline. If the color is really uneven, I'll use plain neatsfoot oil to even out the color. I'll let it sit for a few more hours (usually overnight again), give it one last buffing, and it's good to go. I'm sure my approach isn't by the book, but that's my usual routine.
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » July 5th, 2008, 12:18 am

VERR_RRY Nice! 8)
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration