Relacing good lace just to change the color...

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Relacing good lace just to change the color...

Postby rmiller » June 21st, 2008, 12:44 pm

Anybody have any thoughts on relacing a glove that already has perfectly good lace, just for the sake of putting in a different color?

Sometimes a kid finds out I have different colors of lace, and he or she will want perfectly good lace taken out, just to have a different color in. I really hate to replace lace in a glove that doesn’t need it, and I try to tell them it doesn’t need it, and if it were my glove, I wouldn’t do it.

Perhaps I shouldn’t care- I mean it’s not my glove, and they pay me to do it. It just feels wrong!
Last edited by rmiller on June 21st, 2008, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » June 21st, 2008, 2:59 pm

I have to admit, the thought has crossed my mind. My softball team's colors are red and black, and when I just bought my new black Rawlings online yesterday, I did think about taking it somewhere to have red lacing put in. I know it is frivolous and unnecessary, but I'm also the girl that has the red/black equipment bag, red/black shoe bag, red/black cleats, etc. It only makes sense that my backup glove would be black with red lacing! :D That being said, no way I'm changing the lacing in my buffalo glove from its brown unless forced because it breaks. Maybe because the backup glove is just that, a backup, I'm willing to be more fashion conscious and less conservative with it...
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby offsidewing » June 21st, 2008, 3:20 pm

I tend to color coordinate my gloves. My wife's Pro-1000BFB is laced with Maize and Blue. Yeah, she's a Michigan grad.

I just relaced my camel Pro-1000HC with Tanner's black lace to match the black stitching and it looks really nice.
Aim for the corners and let the middle take care of itself.
offsidewing
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » June 21st, 2008, 4:22 pm

I’d love to see a picture of the Michigan glove. I wonder what the wife would think of a red glove with silver lace, or vice versa! :)
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » June 21st, 2008, 11:20 pm

I'd love to burn the Michigan glove... :twisted:

(being a scarlet and grey bleeding resident of Columbus, Ohio)

But, yes, I have seen a lot of players want lacing to match a particular team or uniform color. Had a guy bring me a perfectly nice black Rawlings Trap-Eze and replace all the black laces with red to match the glove that Ken Griffey was using at the time.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » June 21st, 2008, 11:54 pm

If you burn the Michigan glove, I'll bring the hotdogs - from a blue and orange blooded Illini.

On the Rawlings site, I've been trying to build an Illinois-colored glove, but I just can't come up with the right combination....I think their orange isn't quite as orange as I'd like it.
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » June 22nd, 2008, 12:28 am

BretMan wrote:Had a guy bring me a perfectly nice black Rawlings Trap-Eze and replace all the black laces with red to match the glove that Ken Griffey was using at the time.

That's what I decided I am going to do with my backup. We have a softball tournament on the 4th of July weekend and if it arrives from the ebay seller by then, I'm doing it.

Cheesy I know...but the red laces do match that red Rawlings logo patch nicely. But I see why from a collector standpoint, you guys are more purists.
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » June 22nd, 2008, 2:20 am

I convinced myself I was putting in a BETTER quality of lace that just happened to be a complimentary color to my old Rawlings ... 8)
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration