I was wondering

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

I was wondering

Postby drzubia8 » June 19th, 2008, 1:43 am

Has anyone ever tried Murphy's oil to clean a glove?
I read about it in "Glove Affairs" (as I'm sure most of you have) but I haven't seen it discussed here.
drzubia8
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Deacon » June 19th, 2008, 8:08 am

I've never used Murphys for the initial cleaning of my gloves, but I do use it as a general maintenance cleaner after they have been cleaned and conditioned. Perhaps every 3 or 4 months I'll take some gloves off the shelf and give them a Murphys once over.
I do use Murphys to clean some of my bats. I'll put a small amount of Murphys on a scotch brite pad and scrub away.
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » June 19th, 2008, 8:40 am

I use it fairly often on gloves that are not especially soiled or stained, but just need a general light cleaning. For dirtier gloves, or gloves with a lot of excess oil, I might use either Lexol cleaner or Fast Orange hand cleaner.

The Murphy's does a pretty good job and I have never had any problems with it. I mix it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle, then spray it onto a clean rag or sponge, rather than spraying it directly onto the glove.

While I use it sometimes on gloves, I use lots more of it as a general purpose cleaner to keep my umpire equipment looking good. We're expected to take the field in clean and shined shoes and this is the quickest way I have found to remove a game's worth of dust and muck. I also use it on my shin guards, chest protector and mask. It not only gets rid of dust and dirt, but also sweat/salt stains which are common with umpire gear.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration