Re-Lacing a XPG 6

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Re-Lacing a XPG 6

Postby doubleplay64 » June 16th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Hi all,

Need some help on a XPG 6 Mantle that needs new laces in the palm (front) which were already removed and were pretty much gone. Does anyone have experience with this model ? What is the starting point ? On the front of the right upper part of the palm area it usually starts in between the pinky and ring finger but no hole there on these models. First one I've had to do. Any help would be appreciated or if anyopne has a diagram that doesn't cost $20 !!!
Thanks,
Don
doubleplay64
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Thudhugger » June 16th, 2008, 5:07 pm

the starting point might be inside the palm area, thats why there isn't one readily apparent. You might have to undo the looped lace along the heel to open up the glove between the inside and the padding. (if that makes any sense) Some gloves have palm laces starting (and ending) inside.
Thudhugger
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » June 19th, 2008, 8:55 am

I've done a few of these gloves, and other Rawlings from the same era. I have found that, instead of the palm lace lace starting (or, finishing- depending on which end you start at) in the crotch between the pinky and ring finger, the lace exits the glove up along the outer edge of the pinky finger, about 1-2 inches below where the lace that goes through the top of the fingers ties off.

Somewhere along the line this location was changed, and I can only guess that it was changed because it is a little easier to lace and saves about 3-4" of lace per glove.

The other end of the lace exits on the thumb-side, through one of the same holes used for the heel/wrist opening lacing, right about where the thumb holder loop ties.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby quaz95 » June 20th, 2008, 9:28 pm

hey bret how did you know all this about a xpg 6??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

john
"To live is Christ to die is Gain."
quaz95
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » June 20th, 2008, 9:48 pm

Well, I just did one of yours and it was fresh in my mind! :wink:

The Stan Musial glove you sent me last month had the same lace pattern for the palm laces.
BretMan

Thak You

Postby doubleplay64 » June 21st, 2008, 1:57 am

You guy's are great . Thanks so much for all the info.
Don
I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball."
doubleplay64
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » June 21st, 2008, 11:40 pm

I had this picture saved on my computer, but couldn't find it when I first posted. Found it today and added the two notes in red. This might better show what I was trying to describe.

BretMan

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration