Covering scuffs on a black glove.

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Covering scuffs on a black glove.

Postby wickedwoman11 » June 13th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Is there anyone who has a recommendation on what to use to cover up leather scuffs on a black glove? I just bought a Mizuno Victory Stage on ebay and I'm really unhappy with it. I am going to try to list it myself to sell on ebay, but if nobody buys it, I want to try to cover up the scuffs if I end up stuck with it. I'm not too happy since they weren't visible in the photos.

I suppose it is my own fault. I'm not looking for a collector glove, but one to play with. Maybe it is because I'm a girl, or maybe I have some Howard Hughes in me but it just skeeves me out to play with someone else's glove. I know that I am SO in the minority on this board on that issue, but I can't help it. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new glove after all for my backup.
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » June 14th, 2008, 11:14 pm

Sometimes, a good conditioner will darken the rough/light spots enough to make them less noticable (but still noticable).

A few small dabs of black shoe polish? Might hide them, but can wear off quickly and can transfer to ball or hands.

Black leather dye. This makes for a more permanent fix. There are many dyes available. I've had some good results with dye, but it can be hard to get an exact color match.

One such glove that was recently sent to me was a black Rawlings PRO-TB Trap-Eze. The fingers and other areas had worn spots that were "light grey" under the black and looked pretty crappy, even though the the glove itself was structurally sound.

To my surprise, when I began to clean and condition it, the glove's own black dye began to "spread" a bit. I was able to transfer some of the black dye into the light spots and it made them look much darker and less noticable.

How effective that last one might be would probably depend on how the leather was originally dyed at the factory. Some gloves might be more "colorfast", while other's might tend to let the dye spread around a bit.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

scuffing

Postby GoldGlove » June 15th, 2008, 7:40 pm

I would try shoe polish....
GoldGlove
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dwags4him » June 19th, 2008, 9:44 pm

I have used this about 50 times, and it works brilliantly....

Plus it is readily available and easy to control.

To re-dye a black glove, get a black Sharpie marker....touch up the glove as needed, then, when you are done, take a little Vaseline and rub it into the glove where you have re-dyed it.

You would be amazed at the results.

Like I said, I have done this on customer gloves, and the black ink blends right in.

Plus no annoying shoe polishes....yuck.
David Wagner
Play It Again Sports Northbrook
847-564-9180

I service all gloves brought to PIAS Schaumburg, Villa Park, Oak Lawn, and Northbrook.

847-899-5423 [Cell]
dwags4him
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » June 20th, 2008, 8:32 am

That's one I've used before and had forgot about.

I've used a Sharpie on small scuffs, cracked trim, for minor touch-ups or on metal grommets with chipped paint, but haven't tried it on larger areas of scuffed leather with color loss.

It works great on the little touch-ups. Sounds like it would work on larger areas, too.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration