nokona repairs

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

nokona repairs

Postby candlestick » May 21st, 2008, 9:28 am

Where do I go to get a thumb loop replaced on my Nokona? Does someone specialize like Kenny for Rawlings gloves? Thanks!
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » May 21st, 2008, 10:26 am

I've never had Nokona themselves repair a glove for me, but from what others have told me they will do this. In fact, I've heard raves about their customer service and their ability to make tough repairs on their own products. You might want to contact them first and see what they have to say.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » May 21st, 2008, 10:59 am

Great tip Thanks!
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby offsidewing » May 21st, 2008, 2:08 pm

I worked at a Play it Again in high school, and we sent every glove repair to the local cobbler. The guy did wonders with tears and even thumb loops. Some of the best glove repairs I've ever seen.

If there are still cobblers (shoe repair guy) around, check them out. Those guys love leather every bit as much as glovers do.
Aim for the corners and let the middle take care of itself.
offsidewing
Veteran Glove Poster

Nokona Repairs

Postby Bubdoggy » May 21st, 2008, 2:21 pm

You can send an email to Nokona and explain what needs to be done. There's a lady in repair that will probably email you back with a rough estimate. They ask that you send it to them, let them look it over and give you a cost.

It was going to roughly cost about $100 to have the lining, padding and binding on my N60 replaced. I figured it'd hold off since I only use it to play catch.
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » May 22nd, 2008, 10:20 am

$100 is a good deal for all that work. That seems to be about the average price- or a little below- similar work from other glove repairmen.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Nokona

Postby GloveGypsy » May 22nd, 2008, 12:59 pm

I sent a glove to Nokona after using it for about one year. The thumb kept folding back and I asked Nokona if they could provide a solution.

About two weeks later my glove showed up at my home with plastic inserts in both thumb and pinkie stalls.

No charge.

I now have a custom glove that works perfectly.

Let Nokona fix your glove for you. Even if there is a charge, I think you will be very satisfied.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » May 22nd, 2008, 1:17 pm

Per usual a ton of good suggestions and comments. Thanks to all who replied. I went ahead and sent an email to Nokona for a ballpark estimate on some work. Now I cant wait for them to reply.... patience Grasshopper....
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » May 26th, 2008, 8:01 am

Yeah, I've always had fast, personal responses from the Nokona folks. The lady's name is Patti in repair. I just thought I'd use that cash hunting up a good southpaw fielder's mitt for me.
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby crackofthebat » May 26th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Another Nokona story - I had a kid who played Little League for me and purchased a new Nokona glove when he was 11 years old. He used the glove through Little League, Babe Ruth League, Connie Mack, Junior High, American Legion, and High school. Before his senior season he brought the glove back to me to see if I could repair some holes that had worn through the pocket. The glove was never abused - just very well used for 7 seasons. I can relace gloves, but don't have the equipment to make repairs like this glove required. I packed it up in a box and shipped it to Nokona explaining to them how much the glove meant to the young man. Nokona refaced the glove which I'm sure was no easy job and did not charge him a dime. Talk about customer service!!!!
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » May 26th, 2008, 8:39 pm

great PR for nokona. he probably told dozens of his friends, family and team mates the story and nokona gained many loyal customers. sometimes you gotta spend money to make money
spedrunr

Postby wjr953 » May 30th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Not to throw any cold water on the fire here guys, but I recently sent a catcher's mitt to them that needed re-facing. They returned it with sincere apologies, unrepaired. It seems that the dies that they needed to use to reface this mitt (as well as a whole lot of other glove making equipment) had been lost in the big fire that they had at their plant a few years ago. I'm sure that wasn't all that was lost in that fire, and I'm afraid that Nokona glove lovers all over the world (of which I am most definitely one!), both past and present are going to come to regret the results of that fire for many years to come. IMHO, Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing in this world beats a Nokona glove. I know that there are plenty of guys out there that love and swear by their HOH's and A2000's, both outstanding gloves in their own right, but give me a Nokona every single time. And oh, by the way, when it's time to leave the field after the "final" game here on earth, please bury me with my Nokona glove on my hand, because I'm hoping and praying that there's baseball in Heaven! (Doubleheaders every day and NEVER any rainouts!!! Yeah baby) lol

vbr, br
wjr953

Postby candlestick » June 6th, 2008, 2:57 pm

I started this thread and just got my 1B mitt back from Patti and the folks at Nokona today. Absolutely beautiful job. Complete relacing, piping replaced, new eyelets where needed, improved lacing pattern in the pocket, shortened the wrist adjuster, and conditioned all for a very reasonable cost. It literally feels like new. GloveGypsy said, "Let Nokona fix your glove for you. Even if there is a charge, I think you will be very satisfied." That is 100% accurate.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » June 8th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Just have to chime in on how great Nokona is. I wrote to them asking what type of laces to get to relace my buffalo glove and they actually ended up sending me some new laces for free. I was lucky enough to see the old factory before the fire, and they were so sweet, taking us on a tour, and giving us free logo leather keychains. They are the best! I'm buying a backup glove now, and have flirted with getting a Rawlings or Mizuno but I just can't help but want to hold out until I can afford another Nokona.
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration