Lining Conditioning

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Lining Conditioning

Postby opticsp » May 14th, 2008, 10:37 am

I wonder what you would suggest for conditioning of lining. I have an old A2000 that has some cracking on the lining, and I would like to keep the leather conditioned in order to avoid further cracking. I realize that cracking in the lining on A2000s is common and usually caused by sweat from the hand. Still, are there any suggestions out there?
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » May 14th, 2008, 11:37 am

Use the same good stuff you use on the outer shell of the glove to condition the lining.

If the lining is in rough enough shape that you don't want to rub and scrub on it too much, try using some of the Doctor Glove foam conditioner. You can can completely cover the lining with this foam without having to rub it in with any pressure. Since it has both lanolin and neats foot oil, it really has a great softening effect.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Batting Gloves

Postby robin_buckeye » May 14th, 2008, 11:48 am

My Dad had to get his old first baseman's mitt relined as, after about 20 years, the sweat had eaten it up. After that he started wearing a batting glove inside the mitt -- his logic was that batting gloves are cheaper to replace than linings.

I started doing this too and found it occasionally moderates the sting on a ball that catches the palm.

My son also wears one inside his catcher's mitt, but that is just for a little extra protection -- he doesn't like it inside his fielder's glove.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cusser » May 15th, 2008, 4:12 pm

I use a Palmgard inside the glove, my HOH trapeze and PRO 3 gloves don't seem to have much padding; the Palmgard has two small pads sewn into what looks like a batting glove.
Cusser
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ste24vie » July 19th, 2008, 5:12 pm

What about replacing the lining of a glove.....Can a person purchase a lining made for your glove...or does one have to shell out a hundred plus for a shop to do it??
ste24vie
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration