Advice for a newbie on old (pre-60's) gloves

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Advice for a newbie on old (pre-60's) gloves

Postby Bubdoggy » April 24th, 2008, 9:27 am

Gentlemen, I've have thoroughly enjoyed this forum, to the point that I have taken the step to try to rehab old gloves. I've only tinkered with newer gloves (60's on) so I'm not sure about the old gloves and what to look for. I bought an old Rawlings Eddie Mathews Playmaker to use as my "project" (being a lifelong Braves fan and still having my old Hank Aaron glove from my childhood).

A little advice on a few items would be greatly appreciated. I have removed the basket and old broken lacing and began cleaning the glove with FastOrange and then wiped it down with petroleum jelly. I considered this the initial step. It removed a lot of grime and black.

1. At what point should I quit trying to clean the glove? I don't want to rub the thing to death but would like to get it to some semblance of the original color (if possible). By the way, what would I expect on the original color, a dark brown?
2. How soft and flexible should the glove get? Were the thumbs and pinkies designed to be stiffer? The leather is in good shape with some superficial cracking but no splits. Should I work the glove like a modern one to try to make it more flexible?

I probably have more things to ask but don't want to bore or run you guys off.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Scott
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » April 24th, 2008, 10:17 pm

Out of curiosity, do you know the model number on the glove? The mid-to-lower-end Playmakers came with some really stiff leather. Some of the low end models were like cardboard!

Even the higher-end models can be fairly rigid. The thumb and pinky on those gloves are huge, thick and don't really bend. Most of the structural shape of these gloves seems to come from the shell and thick padding, as opposed to newer gloves where you have lacing doing the job of giving the glove shape and form, with natural hinge points built in.

As for the cleaning, once you have rubbed and scrubbed as much as you can, maybe go over it one more time with the cleaner. By that point, it's probably going to be as clean as it will get.

Most of the old Playmakers are a dark brown color, and some are almost an oxford brown color.

If my wife hadn't taken our digital camera with her, in anticipation of an upcoming grandchild, I would post a few pics of mine! There is one picture- not very detailed- on my website under the Vintage Glove Gallery.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » April 25th, 2008, 8:21 am

I believe its a PM16 (perhaps PM10, the last digit is right in a crease) but I'm going to take it out in the sunlight and look it over good. There appears to be some writing on the top back but I can't make it out.

It did not have a patch, just the Rawlings stamp on the wrist with the red Rawlings button.

It's cleaned up pretty decently. I relaced the pocket last night as I was watching MLB Extra Innings (I call it Man-sewing). Kind of therapy after the workday.

One thing about the older gloves, it gives you an appreciationg for those old players' fielding abilities. I gave it to my 11 year old who plays shortstop to put one and his eyes got as big as saucers.

I'll put a picture up to show how it's condition is sometime this weekend.

Thanks for responding.
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » April 25th, 2008, 8:30 am

Time for a little help for the old doc glov.... How do I get ink off my wifes NEW leather love seat?????????????? Or do I need a priest? ( stupid cross word puzzles anyway)
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » April 25th, 2008, 8:32 am

Can you blame it on the dog?
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » April 25th, 2008, 8:33 am

try the gum eraser, or just add a few pillows, tell her the love seat needed to look more comfortable and pillows just seemed appropriate (c:
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby docglov » April 25th, 2008, 8:35 am

naw dogs her favorite I won't win any anything there blaming the only perfect male in our house.. Besides he hardly ever messes with cross word puzzles
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » April 25th, 2008, 8:36 am

Actually, I'd be curious to know as well. I posted below on removing ink. I've tried the M30 with some success on old gloves but would be scared to death to try it on a love seat. Seems like the M30 rubbing leaves a worn spot on the glove (perhaps its me bearing down too much).
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » April 25th, 2008, 10:34 am

Just do a quick Google search for "remove ink from leather" and you'll get dozens of suggestions...none of which do much good for baseball gloves.

Furniture and clothing use a finished leather that is less absorbant than what you find on a typical glove. That gives you some chance of removing the ink completely.

On a glove, it's like a freakin' tattoo! Once the ink soaks in it's pretty much permanent.

Here is one good web site about ink removel:

http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/co ... 37,00.html
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration