Ink Removal from Cloth Patch

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Ink Removal from Cloth Patch

Postby opticsp » April 20th, 2008, 9:27 pm

Has anyone every had luck removing ink from a cloth Rawlings patch? What product should I try to remove an already faded magic marker?
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » April 21st, 2008, 10:06 am

NOTHING WOULD WORK :( REPLACE THE PATCH :D ....
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby The HOH kid » May 12th, 2008, 9:54 am

I have had alot of success removing ink using acetone. You can get it at most hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes). You just have to keep working at it.
The HOH kid
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » June 15th, 2008, 3:53 am

I've had very good success by using a soft, well-used, toothbrush (the softer the better), and a little liquid laundry detergent.

Apply a little detergent to the brush (I always put some in a dixie cup, and dip the brush as needed), and LIGHTLY brush the patch. Yeah, simple -- but here's the most important part - pay attention to the embroidery and ALWAYS BRUSH WITH THE GRAIN. Of course, take care not to get detergent on the leather. Blot lightly with a towel to get the suds off, then let air dry.

Of course, the newer (and better the condition of) the patch the better your results. It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that if you want to try it, please practice on some lesser gloves before attempting this on anything of value. It should also go without saying that you should use common sense - repeatedly using this technique on the same patch WILL eventually destroy it, and naturally, this technique is more likely to ruin (than clean) very old, threadbare, or seriously stained patches.
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » June 15th, 2008, 11:20 pm

I've tried the m30 stain remover with a toothbrush, eventually using warm water on the brush and also some toothpaste. They have moderate degrees of success depending on the type of marker. Haven't tried just pure detergent
Southpaw in South Carolina
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » June 16th, 2008, 12:02 am

I've found toothpaste to be very destructive on patches - all the little pieces of grit really chew through cloth. Keep in mind that some people use hand cleaner with pumice (same concept as the toothpaste) to try and get ink stains out of leather - just imagine how harsh toothpaste will be on an old patch....

Combine that with warm (or even hot) water, and even the newest patch won't survive. Try to use the mildest detergent available (I've had the best results with Woolite) with cold water.
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » June 16th, 2008, 8:40 am

Good point on the toothpaste. I have meant to try some form of detergent, including the stain removing kind like woolite.
Southpaw in South Carolina
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration