Olive Oil

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Olive Oil

Postby oldballfan » April 20th, 2008, 3:04 pm

While walking around the local outdoor antique market this morning I came across a Spalding Yaz triple crown glove in nice shape, but when I picked it up it felt ODD. I asked the dealer what he put on the glove and he replied olive oil....but it did not change the color of the glove he claims. THe olive oil kind of scared me because the glove felt slightly heavier than it should have, it had the greasy olive oil feel to it. Should I have picked it up for $25, or should I go back next week and get it.
George Frazier, pitcher 1978 - 1987......
I don't put any foreign substances on the baseball. Everything I use is from the good old U.S.A.
oldballfan
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » April 20th, 2008, 3:28 pm

I would be wary.

My understanding is that any vegetable oil, olive oil or biologically-derived oil will eventually turn rancid.

Maybe, if the glove was in super nice shape and I really wanted it, I would pick it up with the intention of doing some heavy duty cleaning to remove as much of the oil as possible.

Then again, if you had your heart set on a Yaz Triple Crown, you could probably find one on eBay for about the same price.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Oil, Oil, Oil

Postby GloveGypsy » April 20th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Olive oil, 10w-30 motor oil, cod liver oil, mink oil, lamp oil, 3 in 1 oil.......so many oils, so little time to apply them all to my gloves.

I am trying to fathom why someone would put food on a piece of sports equipment.

I would let that one for another buyer and focus on a clean Yaz Triple Crown. They show up on eBay from time to time.

-GG
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jackwhale » April 21st, 2008, 1:20 am

Olive oil should only be used on the new Rawlings Italian leather models.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby offsidewing » April 21st, 2008, 8:32 am

jackwhale wrote:Olive oil should only be used on the new Rawlings Italian leather models.

Perhaps with a little Chianti...
Aim for the corners and let the middle take care of itself.
offsidewing
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » April 21st, 2008, 2:43 pm

........., yes Chianti and Fava beans,...... lol

Seriously though, oil makes gloves heavy and it darkens the leather. I agree with the other poster, I would let this glove be. Unless of course you have an olive press at home! Just kidding. After that guy used olive oil on it, that glove is destined for the landfill. What a shame.

br
wjr953

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration