Moist/Rubbery Feeling Leather

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Moist/Rubbery Feeling Leather

Postby opticsp » April 19th, 2008, 3:29 pm

Has anyone had this problem with one of their gloves. I shamefully left my HOH with a friend for a few years who did not ever use it. Instead I believe it sat in his basement under very humid conditions. Well now the leather is a bit moist feeling but not wet. That is, when you touch it it feels like it is wet or sticky but it really isn't. Maybe rubbery is a better way of explaining it. The color of the glove has also turned to a greyish brown even though it was not in the sun.

If anyone has had this similar glove thickness can you please send a cure?!
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Chemicals

Postby GloveGypsy » April 19th, 2008, 5:17 pm

I noticed items left in garage deteriorate over time. I keep chemicals like bleach, oil, Round-Up, auto fluids, and pesticides, and lawn fertilizer in my garage and over time, I noticed that rubber and plastic items fall apart.

To be certain, the summer heat is a contributing factor, but I suspect that the chemicals help breakdown rubber, plastic and other items.

My neighbor had a very nice bike corrode, rust and pit because he kept it on the patio near the pool and the chlorine ate it up.

I know I am not being scientific, but for long term storage, I keep the gloves away from chemicals and at room temp, inside my home.

-GG
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Thudhugger » April 19th, 2008, 7:13 pm

I have one glove that has the same feel as that, it almost feels like its been saturated with ...water? or soaked in some type of oil or conditioner. It always feels wet but it isn't. It doesn't have a chemical odor to it either. Its just a floppy thing.
Thudhugger
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » April 19th, 2008, 8:21 pm

GloveGypsyr: I know what you mean. I keep my gloves next to my bed.

ThudHugger: My glove is not floppy but does have the same qualities as yours. Today was the one of the first warm days in Brooklyn so I put the glove in the trunk of my car. Bretman has suggested that I do this to see if the glove will soak up all the oil (or what every it is) up once the pores of the leather open up in the heat. I have to say that it improved a little, and I will try it again tomorrow if it is warm.
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » April 24th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Okay, so here is an update. I have gone through my glove with Fast Orange to remove any sticky residue. I then gave it an application of Lexol conditioner.The key, I have found, and many of us have different opinions, is that the best way to apply these product is with a sponge. I am using a tile finishing sponge that is easily found at the hardware store. After allowing the glove to dry out a little I have been putting it in the car on sunny days. In Brooklyn it is still spring weather, so the car does not get abover 80-85 degrees. I say this because I do not think I would do the same thing if the car were getting into the 90-100s. Either way, the color has come back and I have managed to reduce the rubbery feeling, although it is not gone.
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » April 24th, 2008, 10:00 pm

I have a glove that I bought around 1980 (a MacGregor softball model) that I still have, and "mushy" is a good description of how the leather feels. But I think I know why that is.

Back in the day- before I knew better!- I saturated this glove with glove oil- several times. If a little is good, then lots is better- right?

Not only did I over oil it, but at various times I used both saddle soap- without realizing that you really need to wash it all off after you're done- and slathered it in mink oil.

I wanted a soft glove and, by golly, I got it soft! The leather is downright mushy and deteriorating in strange and unusual ways I've never seen before. The interior is shot, but that might be because I used it heavily for about 12 years. I relaced it back a few years ago and it would be servicable in a pinch. But it sure ain't pretty!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration