Glove Cleaning Idea

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Glove Cleaning Idea

Postby BretMan » April 18th, 2008, 11:14 pm

Posted this back awhile ago and didn't get a response, so thought I'd throw it out there again.

Has anybody ever used...the cleaner made for cleaning leather sneakers/tennis shoes to clean their gloves? I'm talking about the stuff sold in just about any store that sells shoe laces, shoe polish and shoe care items.

It seems a logical idea. The stuff is designed for cleaning leather, you have that little brush on top of the bottle for scrubbing and when I've used it in the past it really did a good job on my shoes.

Maybe I'll have to be the guinea pig and try it myself...
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Turning643s » April 23rd, 2008, 2:36 pm

I have not used shoe leather cleaner, but I have used the stuff for car seat leather. I know it really worked on my car seats, so I gave it a try on the exterior of one of my gloves. It didn't really clean the glove at all, out side of the little bit of dirt on the surface, but no deep clean. I also went very lite on the application, so that could have been the reason I didn't get the deep cleaning. Still, it really helped soften up the leather and added some much needed moisture after a long Texas Summer Softball season, but it didn't add any weight at all, especially after it soaked in and the glove dried. I just sprayed it on, worked it into the glove by hand and then let it rest overnight and the glove was good to go the next day. I don't think it is a real solution or replacement for the proven alternatives that have been posted on here, but if you are looking for a quick treatment for those constent hot dry summer days and games, I think it can help keep a glove looking and playing its best. So far, I've been doing it for about 2 to 3 years with no negative effects. Like I said, it's not going to give the protection of Lanolin, Vasoline or the other oils and treatments out on the market, but I think this type of conditioning during a playing season, pared with good deep cleaning and protection after a season are a great way to keep a true gamer in the game for many seasons to come.
Turning643s
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration