Cleaning Out A Name

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Cleaning Out A Name

Postby softball66 » April 13th, 2008, 5:50 pm

From past experience with light tan colored gloves such as this perfectly nice Rawlings Johnny Bench DB35, I knew if I tried liquid or paste ink removers for the big name down the top half of the front of this glove, I would be in trouble with staining.
Instead I went a Dandy Rub "gum" eraser. I didn't want to be too abrasive
with the eraser and this method had worked for me in the past with various successes. The name was fairly prominent on about the 12 oclock area of the mitt which you can tell. I didn't take a photo of before but it ruined the appearance of this otherwise near mint mitt. I worked on it for about an hour or two, some of the top layer of the skin came off slightly and the rubbing lightened the color from the hide. But using any type of ink remover might have been worse as I'd discovered previously.
This will serve as a little tip to cleaning, especially on certain color leather
and open knap leathers, spare the liquid cleaners in most cases.
http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 ... 35frnt.jpg
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby sixpointone » April 13th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Hi Softball66,

I am new here and still have a ton to learn. But I know that I truly enjoy this Message Board.

I think you did an excellent job removing the Name from the Mitt.

And being that Johnny Bench is my Favorite All-Time Player I wanted to say how great it must be to own such a Glove.

Thank You for sharing!,
John
sixpointone
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration