Dying of a glove

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Dying of a glove

Postby oldballfan » April 10th, 2008, 10:48 am

I bought my daughter a glove two years ago, pink and purple from Rawlings that she picked out, that is now to small for her, and I would like to try to dye it blue or black for my son. Any ideas as to what products to use, or how to go about this project would be greatly appreciated. Even if this turns out to be horrible, I figure that I can at least practice relacing a glove at the worst. Thanks in advance.
George Frazier, pitcher 1978 - 1987......
I don't put any foreign substances on the baseball. Everything I use is from the good old U.S.A.
oldballfan
Veteran Glove Poster

Yeah, I'm curious, too....

Postby oldreliable » April 12th, 2008, 3:15 pm

I'm curious about this, too. Occasionally, I see an old glove on eBay that is so worn or faded and the original tan has turned to gray. I was wondering about buying and cleaning the glove well with saddle soap and then dying it a light tan color. I wouldn't resell the glove; it would be for my own enjoyment.

Like oldballfan, I'm curious if you guys know anything about leather dying...

Thanks,

John
oldreliable
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » April 12th, 2008, 3:39 pm

I have used Angelus Jet Black to touch up black gloves with very good results. It is compatible with Lexol products. A little hard to find - had to search on the internet for a place that sold it. Heard about it from a car board regarding touching up leather seats. Angelus is mainly used for leather shoes. Don't know about results using other colors...
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Look a little further down ...

Postby Cowboy7130 » April 12th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Look a little further down in this thread, under "Have you ever tried ..."

The full question is "have you ever tried to dye a glove?" and then the discussion takes off from there, complete with pics and recommendations. Good luck!
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » April 13th, 2008, 12:27 am

Cowboy,

Took a look a the pics in the thread you mentioned... Using Angelus & Lexol I have had results that looked much better...
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby oldballfan » April 13th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the previous post....don't know how I missesd that one.
George Frazier, pitcher 1978 - 1987......
I don't put any foreign substances on the baseball. Everything I use is from the good old U.S.A.
oldballfan
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration