Baseball Glove Lacing Tools Inquiry

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Postby crackofthebat » April 13th, 2008, 7:03 pm

I have been lacing gloves for almost 50 years. My tool of choice for lacing is a 12 inch straight taxidermy needle. It looks like a long skinny sewing needle. I cut off the sharp pointed end and drive it into a wooden file handle. The tool is flexible, has a long reach, and the eye is a perfect size for pulling laces through grommets. I get mine from Van Dykes in Woonsocket, SD. It is item # 7213-12. Maybe vintagebrett can post a picture of one since he uses the same tool and has a better camera for close up photos :D
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby sixpointone » April 13th, 2008, 7:37 pm

Hi All,

Thank You for the many great replies, it is much appreciated.

Clearly there is a great wealth of insight and information here, all of it which I hope to learn.

I am looking forward to Thursday when my Wilson A2000 Glove Care Kit should arrive, and I am planning to bring that, along as a print out of this Thread over to my Step Dad's for his insight.

I say that as he has experience with Fly Tie Fishing and some of this info he can likely set me in the right direction on.

I am certain that as things progress I will have many other follow up questions, which I'll post here.

Thanks all for caring and sharing!

All My Best,
John
sixpointone
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby dwags4him » April 26th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Another tip on replacing those U-wires....

Hangers work pretty well....undo them, and you can easily make custom length wires....I usually use an 8" wire, with a 3" for tight spaces....

tough if you have a lot of clothes to hang however.
David Wagner
Play It Again Sports Northbrook
847-564-9180

I service all gloves brought to PIAS Schaumburg, Villa Park, Oak Lawn, and Northbrook.

847-899-5423 [Cell]
dwags4him
Veteran Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration