Goop between shell and liner of a glove?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Goop between shell and liner of a glove?

Postby LemonBall » April 4th, 2008, 10:44 am

Hi,

Does anyone know what the goop is that is applied to the inside of the palm of a ball glove? I know that it is used to condition the palm and help the liner stick to the palm. It is nasty stuff, both sticky and greasy.

I'd like to know what it is, and how to get some.

Thanks .
LemonBall
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » April 4th, 2008, 2:23 pm

An article I read recently about glove construction refered to this "goop" used by Rawlings only as a "proprietary formula".

Must be top-secret stuff!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » April 4th, 2008, 2:58 pm

hilarious. why is it such a big secret amongst glove makers? i know that if i found out what it was, i'd go out and sell it to everyone i know and become a millionare :roll:
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby docglov » April 7th, 2008, 4:25 pm

Actually the stuff is worthless except to put inside the glove Its a very sticky grease that is not oil based so to stop the glove from turning black in the pocket but get your finger in the stuff and it will follow you every where, nasty stuff for a manufacturing stand point get it on the outside of the glove and takes for ever to get it off
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby LemonBall » April 7th, 2008, 4:51 pm

Doc,

Thanks for your reply.

Are you at liberty to tell me if it's available to purchase? If you're not, I understand. I'll actually be using it inside the gloves that I'm endeavoring to make. And while I have your attention, what kind of sewing machine (or foot) is used to sew in that beautiful welting?
LemonBall
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration