Lexol ph cleaner for gloves Directions for a dummy?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Lexol ph cleaner for gloves Directions for a dummy?

Postby quaz95 » March 30th, 2008, 7:12 pm

I took alot of your advise and bought some lexol leather cleaner. I was wondering if someone that uses this stuff can explain to me for the best results on black, or tan, or even kip leather?

John :D
"To live is Christ to die is Gain."
quaz95
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Lexol ph cleaner for gloves Directions for a dummy?

Postby glovemedic » March 31st, 2008, 9:36 am

quaz95 wrote:I took alot of your advise and bought some lexol leather cleaner. I was wondering if someone that uses this stuff can explain to me for the best results on black, or tan, or even kip leather?

I just follow the directions on the bottle. Apply it to a damp detailing sponge and lightly later up small portions of the glove. Rinse by wiping with a damp and clean detailing sponge. Follow up with either Lexol NF or regular (brown bottle) Lexol.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » March 31st, 2008, 1:29 pm

Quaz,
I do the same as Chuck does, you can't go wrong following the basic instructions. Work the liquid up into a lather and then rinse the Lexol off with a clean sponge and clean water. The lather helps lift the dirt up out of the grain of the leather. I've tried other stuff, but Lexol is what I've found works best. It's very gentle and it adds nutrients which help in restoring the leather. After washing thoroughly, I usually put the glove in front of a box fan to dry it before proceeding to the next step. One note of caution: For really older gloves where the leather is in tough shape, you want to try to avoid using anything abrasive to "scrub" the dirt off of the glove. By abrasive I mean a scrub brush with real stiff bristles or a scotch guard pad. Let the Lexol do what it does best, even if you have to wash the glove more than once and you should get positive results. If you read some of the other posts, some guys have also had success with Permatex Fast Orange for really filthy, grungy gloves.

br
wjr953

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration