Using Lanolin?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Using Lanolin?

Postby wjr953 » March 28th, 2008, 10:41 am

I've read a number of posts regarding the use of Lanolin on gloves. I have always been partial to Vaseline Petroleum Jelly myself, but I'm also open to experimenting with new and different methods. I purchased a 4 oz. bottle of Liquid Lanolin recently, but I need some input from other Lanolin users on how best to use it. Is is better to apply by hand or with a sponge or applicator? How long do I let the glove sit after a treatment? Do I wipe off the excess with a clean rag/sponge or do I wash it off with Lexol or something else? Does it darken the leather? Does it leave the glove with a sticky or oily residue? Do you put anything else on the glove after putting on the Lanolin, like Lexol in the brown bottle or???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

br
wjr953

Postby vintagebrett » March 28th, 2008, 12:26 pm

I've never used liquid lanolin before but have used regular lanolin many, many times. Lanolin is my conditioner of choice. I've not found it to darken the leather or leave a residue, that is, if you work in good enough. I use my hands to work the lanolin into the glove and this seems to be effective. I usually let the glove sit for 24 hours after applying and it is good to go - some gloves dry quicker, some take longer, depending on the leather. I'm generally happy with how they come out and don't need to put anything else on them. Hope that helps.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby wjr953 » March 28th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Brett,
Thanks for the info. I've got a few "junk" gloves laying around the basement, so I'm going to clean one (or two) of those first with Lexol (Orange) and then try the Liquid Lanolin on them, just as an experiment to see what kind of results I get. I'll let you know how it works out.

vbr, br
wjr953

Postby mrh64 » March 30th, 2008, 9:50 pm

What is lanolin best for, gamers or display gloves?
mrh64
Veteran Glove Poster

Lanolin waxy?

Postby jrodbbrook » March 31st, 2008, 11:28 pm

I'm new to this forum and I am recently afflicted with a yearning for vintage gloves. There is really a great wealth of information here.

That being said, I recently purchased anhydrous lanolin from ebay. I was surprised by how waxy it is.

Is this what is meant by regular lanolin? Does anyone have any special preparations (e.g. melting, mixing with water, etc...)?
jrodbbrook
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 1st, 2008, 8:11 am

I"ve always used hydrous lanolin - I'm not too familiar with the anhydrous but I believe the hydrous is a little softer and more creamlike.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » April 1st, 2008, 10:32 am

I've used both forms of lanolin with equally fine results.

"Pure" lanolin is just that- lanolin with no other ingredients added. It is refered to as "anhydrous", meaning that no water has been added. It is a fairly thick and heavy creme- almost like a paste- with a brown tint. The thickness makes it a little harder to spread, but not so much so that it should disuade its use. If you use it, simply wetting the rag you're using can help make it spread better.

"Hydrous" lanolin has been processed with a small amount of water, making it less thick and easier to spread. It has a white coloring and a more liquid consistency, something like Jergens hand lotion.

The difference is similar to what was discussed in an earlier thread about petrolatum versus petroleum jelly. Petrolatum is the pure form, while petroleum jelly is a hydrated, processed form of petrolatum.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby dwags4him » April 2nd, 2008, 6:52 pm

Check out the thread in which we discussed melting hydrous (or anhydrous) lanolin into petroleum jelly....that's what I have used for about 3 years now....a custom brew.
David Wagner
Play It Again Sports Northbrook
847-564-9180

I service all gloves brought to PIAS Schaumburg, Villa Park, Oak Lawn, and Northbrook.

847-899-5423 [Cell]
dwags4him
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration