Lace thickness Wilson A3000

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Lace thickness Wilson A3000

Postby johnnyv15 » March 14th, 2008, 11:33 pm

I am trying to determine the thickness of the lace for the A3000 relace project. Hard to determine. Looks like it can be 5/32" or 1/8". Can anyone help.

Thanks

John
Wilson A3000
johnnyv15
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » March 15th, 2008, 6:17 am

I THINK, ON MOST OLDER GLOVES THE WIDTH SHOULD BE 3/16, IN MOST AREAS AND THE THICKNESS SHOULD BE ABOUT 1/8...5/32 WIDTH IS EASILER TO WORK THE HEEL....
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

perplexed

Postby johnnyv15 » March 26th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Hi just a little more information. Dropped Vintagebret a line he measured his A3000 this is what he came up with.

Quote:
Thanks for the email. I measured the lacing and it appears to be 1/8 throughout the entire glove. Hope that helps you a bit.

I measued and came up with 5/32" along the heel and palm. Just does not look like i can get 3/16" around the heel. Whats perplexing is I even spoke to Earl Malone and he also quoted 3/16". I just dont see it.
Wilson A3000
johnnyv15
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » March 26th, 2008, 6:40 pm

3/16" seems to work well on most gloves. 1/8" always looks a little too thin to me, but I don't doubt that if you measure the lace on some older gloves, that is the size you would get.

5/32" is right in the middle. (1/8" = 4/32 and 3/16 " = 6/32).

I think that when you buy lacing, this width is more of a niminal size, rather than an exact, precise measurment. I've bought 3/16" lacing that is a little less wide than that, and some that seems a litle bit wider.

Besides width, another big factor is the thickness of the lace. The 3/16" laces I use to repair modern, game used gloves is really thick and sometimes tough to pull through a hole, especially if it's a hole that two laces go through.

On the other hand, I have used 3/16" wide lacing that is nowhere near as thick and it practically falls right through the hole!

If the glove is going to be actively used as a game glove, I would go with the wider, thicker laces for durability. If it's going to be a collectible or display glove, go with what looks good to you!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » March 26th, 2008, 10:49 pm

BretMan wrote:3/16" seems to work well on most gloves. 1/8" always looks a little too thin to me, but I don't doubt that if you measure the lace on some older gloves, that is the size you would get.

I am using 3/16" in the palm and heel of most gloves, and 1/4" in the fingers and web. The 3/16" seems to work well in the fingers and web of some of the older gloves I get for relacing (especially Mizuno Vintage H-webb). As pointed out previously, the bigger lace in the fingers is good for active gloves, but I think you "change" the gloves catching characteristics when you use the larger laces in the palm.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » March 27th, 2008, 7:36 am

Just a note about my measurement - I used a tape measure but a caliper would probably be more accurate. It could well be 3/16 and not 1/8 but after time and use, it could have worn down.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration