How to reinforce a weak thumb?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

How to reinforce a weak thumb?

Postby oldreliable » March 9th, 2008, 10:25 pm

Hi guys,

I have a mid-'70s Wilson A2000 XLO, which has a fairly weak thumb. What can be done to strengthen the thumb? I have been trying to come up with ideas about what to put in there, and I began to wonder if you guys have any favorites.

I thought about buying some flat rawhide strips, the kind you would buy your dog to chew on. It's light-weight, but, honestly, it stinks awful. I thought that I could steam one and trim it to shape, and, bingo, there would be a perfect thumb insert, but again, the smell almost makes me gag.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

John
oldreliable
Veteran Glove Poster

XLO w/ Thumb bending back

Postby GloveGypsy » March 10th, 2008, 8:25 am

The glove is useless, John. I will be happy to take it off your hands.

<just kidding>

Here are my suggestions:

1. Make your own plastic insert. Take apart another a2000 that has a thumb insert and use that insert to make a pattern/jig and then find another suitable piece of plastic with the right weight/ pliability characteristics.

2. Send it to Earl Malone and give his services a try. Earl is mentioned on the A2000 thread. I think that thread is in the General Discussion category.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: XLO w/ Thumb bending back

Postby glovemedic » March 10th, 2008, 12:48 pm

GloveGypsy wrote:1. Make your own plastic insert. Take apart another a2000 that has a thumb insert and use that insert to make a pattern/jig and then find another suitable piece of plastic with the right weight/ pliability characteristics.

I have used plastic from milk jugs, usually 2 layers works well, to reinforce the thumb of a first base mitt. Just cut the plastic to fit in the thumb slot, glue the pieces together with contact cement, and jam it up in the thumb as far as it will go (assuming you have the glove open). You will have to poke new holes in the plastic and then it will be secured with the new thumb lace. Plastic from a bleach bottle ought to also work and it seems a little stiffer, but I have never tried it.

I hope this is helpful.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Brooks Robinson

Postby Gloveguy » March 10th, 2008, 3:06 pm

I remember reading an article about Brooks Robinson in Baseball Digest in the early 60's. He mentioned that he put a tongue depressor in the thumb of his favorite glove to keep the thumb staight.
Gloveguy
Rookie Glove Poster

Thanks!

Postby oldreliable » March 10th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks! I'll start looking for some suitable plastic. I wonder what's in the recycle bin.

I read about Brooks Robinson and the tongue depressors, too. That could be worth a shot. I could soak the rawhide in bleach to kill the stink. Anyhow, it is going to be fun trying.

Thanks again.

John
oldreliable
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dwags4him » March 27th, 2008, 5:13 pm

Another way to do it....

I have used the plastic from an old garbage can to do the same job. I was able to use it not for the thumb only, but also for the scoop on a first baseman's glove.

Another way to skin a cat.
David Wagner
Play It Again Sports Northbrook
847-564-9180

I service all gloves brought to PIAS Schaumburg, Villa Park, Oak Lawn, and Northbrook.

847-899-5423 [Cell]
dwags4him
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » March 27th, 2008, 10:12 pm

dwags4him wrote:Another way to skin a cat.

I am reminded of a favorite quote for Jullian Steward, a famous anthropologist who devoted a lifetime to studying the Great Basin Shoeshone. "there are many ways to skin a cat, but if your only tool is a bamboo splinter there are not many". Always wanted to share that quote with someone. You're a great group of folks and I know you would appreciate the wisdom in his observation and experience.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » March 28th, 2008, 2:08 pm

That reminds me of a favorite old quote.

"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. But if you really want to catch some flies, first get yourself a dead squirrel..."

Which probably doesn't have anything to do with the subject at hand, but I just love repeating that!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mittmutt » March 28th, 2008, 7:42 pm

If you put a dead squirrel in a weak thumb hole, put the glove in a freezer bag with coffee grounds does the smell go away?
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration