glove storage

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

glove storage

Postby FOXXGLOVE » January 21st, 2008, 9:47 pm

What is the best way to store old gloves I currently have them in a zip lock bag in a plastic tote is this ok?
FOXXGLOVE
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby tally » January 21st, 2008, 11:19 pm

Hi, I wouldn't recommend storing them in a plastic bag is it would dry out the leather. Leather needs air and to breathe to stay soft. Hope this helps.

Mickey
tally
Rookie Glove Poster

Storage issues

Postby GloveGypsy » January 22nd, 2008, 7:43 am

I store my gloves in cardboard file storage boxes. They are inexpensive and you can get them at Office Depot. I can easily fit 3 gloves in each box and label the outside of the box so that I know what is inside. For the ones that I think will be in storage for a long time, I have them in cloth bags. An old T-shirt would work just as well to keep the dust from accumulating on the leather.

I then lock them inside a secret subterranean titanium, nuke-proof vault........OK, I am just kidding about that part.

I think I have an inventory of 25 gloves and 10 of them are on display in my study. Several times a year, I look at the ones in storage and if in the mood, display or sell them. When I ship a glove, I put in in plastic, should it somehow get wet.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » June 9th, 2008, 2:17 am

I store my glove in one of the flannel dust bags that expensive shoes and purses often come in (Ugg, Coach, Furla, etc. all make them, and occasionally you can find a large one from Tiffany's as well).
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby robin_buckeye » June 9th, 2008, 12:15 pm

I put a baseball (actually it's a t-ball) in the pocket of all my stored gloves -- anyone else do this?
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » June 9th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Gloves fit perfectly in sneaker/shoe boxes... and those boxes usually have holes for ventilation which is good. You can stack those boxes and even label the outside.
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » June 10th, 2008, 12:19 am

Foxxglove, I'm like you. I have a lot of them in zip-lock bags in clear plastic totes. I don't seal the tops of the bags and don't seal the tops of the totes so I can get at least a little ventilation in there. I agree that zip-lock bags aren't the best way to store gloves but when you have a lot, you run out of options. Gloves need to breathe.

Later this year, I plan on making the switch to cloth bags. I'm going to have a friend who knows how to sew make me a bunch.

If only my wife kept all the boxes for the millions of pairs of shoes she has.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration