Spot on A2000

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Spot on A2000

Postby mrh64 » January 16th, 2008, 8:10 pm

I recently saw in a Play it Again an A2000 that had a black/purpleish spot near the hinge between the heel and pinky finger. Whatever it is I have no idea but it is about the size of a half dollar. This spot has made the leather very hard, so hard that the leather won't even bend on that spot. It acually affects the way the glove closes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might get this spot out or at least soften it up some?
mrh64
Veteran Glove Poster

Spot on A2

Postby GloveGypsy » January 16th, 2008, 9:53 pm

1. Try to buy it from PIAS for real cheap by pointing out the spot.
2. It might be some type of glue. If it is try some water to see if is water-based glue. If H2O softens the glue then .....use more H2O.
3. If it is chemical based, then you may want to try some solvents.
I suggest the usual suspects: Fast orange, GoJo, Grease relief....possibly "Goof-Off". Hopefully, these won't hurt the leather.
4. If the spot is stubborn, or if the leather is affected by your attempts to remove the spot, then at least you did not have much $$ tied up in the glove.

Very Important:
If PIAS does not discount the price to your satisfaction, put the glove back on the rack and forget about it. There are many non-spotted gloves out there needing your attention.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mrh64 » January 17th, 2008, 12:30 am

Thanks for the help. They are only asking $15.00 so I may just give it a shot.
mrh64
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration