How often??

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

How often??

Postby jstntym21 » January 3rd, 2008, 11:34 am

How often should a glove be conditioned and is there such a thing as too much? Not including the initial clean up and conitioning that might be needed after a glove is obtained.
jstntym21
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » January 4th, 2008, 2:02 am

How often a glove is conditioned might depend on how it is being used and in what type of conditions it's being stored.

A glove that is being actively used as a "gamer" might need to be conditioned a couple of times during the season, depending on how dirty, dusty, wet or sweaty it may get from use.

I will generally condition my game gloves once before the season, a couple of times during the season, then once again before storing it until next year.

If the glove is just for display, setting on a shelf in a moderate indoor environment, it could probably go for years without additional treatment.

Then again, if you want to work on your glove just for the joy of working on it, you might give it a conditioning a few times a year!

On of my problems with display gloves- and, I'm sure a lot of the guys here have a similar problem- is that I have too darn many gloves! Once they've been cleaned and restored for display, it would be really time consuming to re-do them all on a regular basis. There are about 50 gloves on display in my family room at any given time- and a couple hundred more in storage!

For my display gloves, I do wipe them down from time-to-time. I have a couple of rags that I use to apply Lexol or lanolin when restoring other gloves. These rags usually have enough remnants of conditioner that just a quick wipe-off with them will get off any dust and impart enough conditioner to keep the glove supple and looking good.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jstntym21 » January 4th, 2008, 4:39 pm

Thanks BretMan :) !

I don't use my gloves. They're just for looking at.
jstntym21
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration