Lexol NF

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Lexol NF

Postby Mike_2007 » December 19th, 2007, 4:20 pm

I agree Lexol is a great product to use on gloves but about a year ago I switched to Lexol NF. It is harder to find as it is probably mainly used for horse saddles/tackle - though it does mention baseball gloves on the box. It is thicker/slicker than the "regular" Lexol. After applying it on a glove I wait a few days then buff out the glove - great results. I apply a small amount on a cotton wash cloth and clean a glove after it's been used for a few games/practices then hand the glove up on a rack. Wanted to pass this along! BTW, I have tried just about everything else out there!
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » December 19th, 2007, 7:37 pm

Could you let us know where you buy the Lexol NF - is it available in retail stores? Thanks.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mike_2007 » December 19th, 2007, 8:50 pm

Here is an info sheet: http://www.lexol.com/moreinfonf.html

The first time I bought it was in a leather supply store and it was expense - like $11 with tax for the small bottle ( 5 or 6 oz) When I ran out I checked Ebay and bought a case and it came to around $5.50 per bottle. I just checked Ebay and there are just a couple of listings for the larger bottles - $9 bucks for 1/2 liter - good deal but you have to pay for shipping... One more thing about Lexol NF - it is true what they say about not darkening leather. I have used it on "blond" leather and the color did not darken. Other than Ebay I would check equestrian supplies if they ride horses near you!
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » December 20th, 2007, 1:38 am

They sell the "NF" formula at the leather supply store near my house. I've always been curious to see what results it would give.

Maybe when my one-liter jug of regular Lexol and my one-pound tub of lanolin finally run out I'll give it a try!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » February 17th, 2008, 9:55 pm

If you're looking to buy bulk, this place worked out well for me: http://www.horse.com/default.aspx

I purchased two, 3 liter jugs of Lexol PH Leather Cleaner, and one, 1 liter jug of NF. I spray the inner palm of our gloves with the PH after almost every use and it seems to neutralize the sweat which keeps it all soft.

I stumbled across Lexol sometime in the late 80's when I was looking for some neatsfoot oil for my new Pro-H. Back then Lexol NF darkened the leather but it gave it a really nice patina. I wish you could still get it. The glove is still a gamer with absolutely no wear to the palm. The only thing that needs to be replaced is the binding on the back of the glove. The inner palm is buttery soft with no cracks, not like my XPG-3 which is really awful because of the gloveolium I used on it.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » March 21st, 2008, 3:21 pm

Thanks for the link brotherray. I use Lexol NF on other stuff now and I'm really going through my supply! I like it more and more - surprised more people haven't caught on!
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » March 24th, 2008, 9:30 am

There is so much stuff on the market that it can make you dizzy. I was fortunate to discover Lexol when I did. I'm sure that there are other products that work better than typical glove oil but I KNOW lexol works. I wouldn't use anything else on my gloves.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby fmclaug1 » April 13th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Hello - I'm new on this board, but wanted to mention that I happen to have a few cases of Lexol NF (6.76 oz bottles) if anyone is having trouble finding it. I use it on all of my project gloves with excellent results. I wouldn't mind selling a few bottles (as frankly I think I overbought last time), so let me know. I'd need about $8/bottle shipped I figure to keep me whole. My email is fmclaug1@sbcglobal.net Thanks, Forrest.
fmclaug1
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Cusser » April 15th, 2008, 10:57 pm

Here in Arizona, Lexol products are available at horse supply stores. I know because my wife seems to have the mission to support all of them here. Lexol stuff makes sense because saddles and tack (reins, bridles) can cost a few thousand dollars, so their care and longevity is important. I'm assuming you all know that the NF in Lexol NF stands for neetsfoot oil.
Cusser
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » April 18th, 2008, 10:36 am

If you guys have a Tractor Supply store, they sell it there as well (you know we still drive tractors here in South Carolina). You can find it online as well at www.tractorsupply.com
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » April 18th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Bubdoggy wrote:If you guys have a Tractor Supply store, they sell it there as well (you know we still drive tractors here in South Carolina). You can find it online as well at www.tractorsupply.com

BAH! none in SE columbia! I guess next time i'm in Lexington or Camden. I guess us city folk don't get tractor stores in SC (c;
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Bubdoggy » April 18th, 2008, 4:13 pm

Or head up 77 to Rock Thrill. :P
Bubdoggy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » April 18th, 2008, 10:58 pm

You can also buy it direct online from Summit Industries.

br
wjr953

Postby Chicago Red Sox Fan » April 19th, 2008, 8:41 am

If there aren't any tractor supply stores in Columbia, there certainly aren't any in Chicago! I've bought direct from Summit and only have good things to say about them (they ship immediately).
Chicago Red Sox Fan
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » April 20th, 2008, 11:21 am

LOL I forgot to ask my folks to pick me up some. They came over for dinner and a visit with the grandkids last night. ~sigh~
They live in GA and there is a TSC not a mile from their house.
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Next

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration