Has anyone ever used products made for leather car seats

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Has anyone ever used products made for leather car seats

Postby etd » December 18th, 2007, 1:14 am

I was curious if anyone has ever used a product designed for leather car seats to condition a baseball glove. Were the results good or bad?
etd
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » December 18th, 2007, 2:15 am

Well, since Lexol is marketed for- among other uses- automotive interiors, I guess I have!

The only product I've ever tried that was aimed specifically at the automotive market was Armor-All leather wipes. This was back a few years ago. I tried them out of curiosity, as part of my usual quest to try just about leather product I can get my hands on at one time or another.

These were the towelettes, the wipes that pop up out of a plastic container. I wasn't too thrilled with the results.

Part of that might be because, since they were wipes, there didn't seem to be enough moisture in them to give the glove a good soaking. Maybe if you were using their liquid treatment, right out of the bottle, it might be a different story.

The finish on the glove seemed a little bit shiny and slick. I much prefer the non-glossy, grippy texture I get from straight lanolin or lanolin-based products.

One aspect I don't like about products for car seats is that they all seem to advertise "cleans and conditions in one easy step". Fail to get all the dirt and grime off a glove first and you're just glopping conditioner right over top of it and trapping it in the leather. I have had the best success on gloves following a two-step process- using a separate cleaning product prior to using a separate conditioner.

If you try the car seat stuff, I'd be curious to know how it turned out. Post back and give us an update if you give it a shot.
Last edited by BretMan on December 18th, 2007, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » December 18th, 2007, 7:11 am

After cleaning I use one or two coats of Lexol leather conditioner and one coat of Kiwi outdoor Mink Oil...I LIKE the results... :D
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

Previous discussion

Postby robin_buckeye » December 18th, 2007, 4:09 pm

etd,
Three's been a lot of discussion on this issue. Take a llok at the stuff at:

http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum.co ... um.php?f=9

I'll bet you'll find a lot that will interest you.

PS, I first came to this forum for the same reason as you -- now 50+ posts later, I check it almost every day and have made many friends here.
Best,
Tom
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration