Remove mildew stains

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Remove mildew stains

Postby Moonlight Graham » October 28th, 2007, 4:38 pm

Does anyone know how to remove mildew stains? :? I have tried soap and water, but the stains wouldn't come off. I don't know, magic incantations maybe ?
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Moonlight Graham » October 29th, 2007, 8:11 am

Here is what I found on the web. Would you agree with any of these solutions ?

1. Rub the stain with petroleum jelly. If stain remains, sponge the area gently with equal parts water and rubbing alcohol (be sure to test for colorfastness first). On leather only, condition with Tannery Vintage Leather Cleaner & Conditioner or Fiebing's Saddle Soap.

2. To remove mildew from leather goods, wipe with a cloth moistened with diluted alcohol (1 cup denatured or rubbing alcohol to 1 cup water). Dry in a current of air. If mildew remains, wash with thick suds made from a mild soap or detergent, saddle soap, or a soap containing a germicide or fungicide. Then wipe with a damp cloth and dry in an airy place.

3. Staining and deterioration of fabric, paper, and leather caused by mildew is irreversible. :shock:
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » October 29th, 2007, 8:45 am

I think it depends on how long the stains have been there. I've had luck with rubbing alcohol sometimes, but other times it did nothing. If you do use the rubbing alcohol, make sure to put lanolin or some leather conditioner on soon after.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Moonlight Graham » October 29th, 2007, 10:42 am

Thanks for the tip ! :wink:
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration