Help - broken buckle back

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Help - broken buckle back

Postby burker72 » October 20th, 2007, 7:48 am

I bought this Ken Wel basemitt a few weeks ago on eBay, and aside from the obvious and irreversible problem (it is a lefty) it came with a broken strap on the wrist strap. The buckle is fine. The strap with the holes though was cut to about 2/3 of its length. The glove is an absolute gem otherwise. Does anyone have suggestions? It displays well and I'm not going to play with it. Should I look to have it replaced? Is there someone out there you would recommend?

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 20th, 2007, 10:15 am

If there's a quick and easy fix for this, I would love to hear it. I have a handfull of gloves with similar wrist strap problems and have been kicking around ideas on how to fix them.

The solution would seem to involve cutting a replacement strap from a piece of leather and sewing it to the glove. Both are fixes that I've never tried before.

I've mentioned before that I'm lucky enough to have a large leather supply store just a few minutes from my house. They carry all of the raw leather and tools you would need to accomplish the job. They even have experienced leatherworkers in the store that will teach you how to use all of the tools that they sell.

Another thing they have is a bulletin board where leather craftsmen can post their business cards or flyers and there are probably at least fifty such postings there. I would have to imagine that this is an easy fix for someone with such experience.

In a similar vein, I would love to be able to produce replacement tunnel webs for all the gloves I come across that are missing them. If you can sew leather, it seems like a simple project. It wouldn't take much more than cutting a piece of leather to size, folding the ends over, then running a couple of stitches to create the tunnels.

These are all things I'd like to try and hope to look into in the future.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration