Some new before/after photos

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Re: Some new before/after photos

Postby mikesglove » July 6th, 2019, 2:59 pm

First of all, I wouldn't use the Dr. Jackson's on light colored leather. It would just darken it too much unless that was the object. On the Rawlings, I didn't use any conditioner on the white leather. I used it only on the dark inner lining and piping. I used an old tooth brush on the Rawlings and brushed it good. That worked remarkably well on the buckskin in getting rid of the dingy look. I was careful not to use it near the markings on the front. For that weird stain on the front, I used a 320 grit sandpaper and buffed it again with the brush. For the markings, I used the edge of an x-acto knife and scraped around the letters. That was a little tedious. The glove was really nice to begin with and had a ton of potential.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Some new before/after photos

Postby mplsgloves » December 1st, 2019, 2:50 pm

I'm proud to share some before and after pics of my latest project - a late 50's Hal Naragon Wilson catchers mitt (A2556). This is a lower end mitt and it was in pretty poor condition with a frankenstein-ed web from a fielders glove but I needed a Naragon endorsed model for my collection of MN Twins gloves. So I plunked down $10 plus shipping and bought myself a challenging project that kept me busy most of November. Check it out:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Not to get too sentimental but in the spirit of the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I want to send out my gratitude to all the members of this forum and the glove collecting community in general. The only way I could have ever brought the Naragon mitt back to life is by using all the great info I've absorbed from reading this forum, baseballglovecollector.com and the Catalog Sourcebook. In particular, the x-acto knife technique mikesglove mentioned earlier in this thread was a huge help in bringing this mitt's stampings and signature from a nearly completely obscured state to relatively decent legibility. Thanks and cheers everyone!
mplsgloves
Rookie Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration