Crescent pad fielders mitt and 1940 Reds endorsed gloves.

Pre-1970 gloves for that you are looking to sell, trade or looking for.

Crescent pad fielders mitt and 1940 Reds endorsed gloves.

Postby 1glove2many » June 21st, 2007, 4:34 pm

I'm looking for my first crescent pad for my collection.I'm willing to start with a lesser quality glove if I have to and can trade up from there but I'd really like to have a quality CP.Also looking for a quality Johnny Vandermeer and a Paul Derringer but will entertain the possibility of any quality endorsed gloves from the 1940 Cincinnati Red World Championship team.I'm willing to trade.Just let me know what you're looking for.Thanks,1glove2many. :D
1glove2many
Rookie Glove Poster

40 Reds gloves

Postby softball66 » June 22nd, 2007, 9:00 am

I'm an "old" Cincy fan and "old" glove collector and I think I've rounded up 15 or so 1940 reds model gloves. Elmer Riddle will be your surest to find. Found but not real ez ones will be Lombardi, Vander Meer, F. McCormick, Frey and Walters, of the top players. Hardest to find will be Paul Derringer. I only know of two. I loaned mine for a year to the new Reds Museum where it was on display. The rest of the starters are a little tougher but are out there: Myers, Webber (he's still alive and will sign your glove), Craft, M. McCormick,Goodman Berger, Thompson, Joost, Baker, Turner,Beggs, Moore, Hershberger, Arnovich, V. DiMaggio and Red Barrett. The rest of the roster guys I've not seen gloves for.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby 1glove2many » June 22nd, 2007, 1:53 pm

Interesting you brought up the Reds museum and Hall of fame.I recently took a friend to see the Pete rose exhibit and struck up a conversation with Greg Rhodes,museum executive director and team historian.I was looking at the assortment of Petes gamers and mentioned my hobby and the focus on the 1940 championship team player endorsed gloves.He in turn asked me to email some pics for a possible display.If anyone else out there would like to join in I'm sure Greg would welcome the oppertunity.I'm in the process of cataloging the pics for his approval.I have most of the afformentioned with the exception of Herschberger and I just miseed one of Jim"the milkman Turner's"personel gamers from the estate auction.Still kicking myself over that one.If ever in Cincinnati shoot me an email.I love to watch the Redlegs and talk nostalgia.As a matter of fact I plan to take another forum member that I've dealt with quite extensivley to the a game on July 25.Frank Robinson bobblehead night.It will be his first visit to Great American Ballpark.Thanks and nice to hear from you,1glove2many.
1glove2many
Rookie Glove Poster

'40 Reds

Postby softball66 » June 22nd, 2007, 8:15 pm

I understand Greg is about to or has resigned from the museum? And you have most of the Reds gloves that I too have (aforementioned) acquired? Right?
And you just missed on Jim Turner's game used glove from his estate?
Great that you are taking a fellow glover to the game. Your email? Lemme know if i can help you with anything. I think I've got a few of the 1939 guys not on the '40 team and some real early store gloves of Reds, Hans Lobert being one of them. :wink:
softball66

Vince DiMag

Postby swalt1234 » June 27th, 2007, 12:39 am

I have a nice Vince DiMaggio for sale if you'd like
swalt1234
Veteran Glove Poster

Vince Dimaggio

Postby 1glove2many » June 27th, 2007, 8:37 pm

Appreciate the reply but I do have ex+ Draper Maynard DG20.Perfect binding,not a nick or scratch anywhere,interior's perfect too.The only flaw is the previous owners name written lightly on the strap. :( I'll send you some 40's reds pics if you want to see them.Haven't gotten the photo bucket down yet so I'd need your email.Thanks anyway,1glove. :wink:
1glove2many
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » June 28th, 2007, 12:59 am

Good for this Ohio boy to see some Reds fans on the board!

I attented a recent game in Cincinnati that featured an unusual pre-game ceremony. It was the 60th anniversary of the game pitched by "the old lefthander", Joe Nuxhall, at the tender young age of fifteen.

I''m keeping my eyes open for a Nuxhall-endorsed glove to add to my collection. As far as I know, the only ones available are cheap, kid-sized Rawlings Playmakers from the 1950's.

Joe, Marty Brenneman and long-ago Reds broadcaster and Hall-of-Famer Wait Hoytt were all honored with a permanent display mounted near the broadcast booth, honoring their many years of radio broadcasting games.

Everyone in attendance received a CD with Reds radio highlights through the years. Listening to Wait Hoytt talk about his old war-stories, from coming up through the minors to being a teammate with Babe Ruth is amazing! I would love to have an entire CD of nothing but those stories!
BretMan

Old Nuxy

Postby softball66 » June 28th, 2007, 12:18 pm

I was able to luck into a neat little playmaker lefty Nuxhall. Tiny glove but it's better than a cold carrot in the ear.
I've also been able to buy a great LP Record of waite Hoyt's. It's called "Babe Ruth in the Rain" recordings of him during rain delays when he'd talk about his teammate Babe Ruth. Real collectors item.
About 10 years ago, my good friend and Red hunter, Dave Grob was in Cincinnati at a garage sale. He was asking the lady about Reds memorabilia and what else she might have. She told him, "my husband saved a Cincinnati program from back during the war that meant something special, I'm not sure what."
It turned out to be the program/score card for Joe's first game he appeared in as a 16 year old and youngest player ever to appear in the Majors. Dave bought it from her. Now THERE"S A FIND!!!!
softball66

Postby BretMan » June 28th, 2007, 2:48 pm

It sounds like the exerpts on the CD must have come from that LP. I would love to find a copy of the record!

For any Ohio baseball fans heading to the opposite corner of the state for an Indians game, make sure to check out the Rawlings display found near the right field fence. There you can see- and even sit in to snap a picture- a 48-inch pattern Heart of the Hide glove.
BretMan

Waite Hoyt ?

Postby 1glove2many » June 28th, 2007, 8:54 pm

Actually there were 2 albums full of radio broadcasts from Mr.Hoyt.The Best of Waite In the Rain Vol.1 and Vol.2.Both recordings from rain delays in the fiftys.Vol.1 entertaing stories,quips and anecdotes regarding the hof'ers career.Vol.2 Mr. Hoyt talks Babe Ruth.Both are fantastic.I had both albums for and I did record them on cassette but gave them to an 87 year old friend of mine that I attend many Reds games with.This gentleman is a veteran of WWII and met his wife of almost 65 years on a trolley cay in D.C. on the way to a Senatoors game.He brought her back to southeastern Indiana after the war.He had the fortune of seeing Babe Ruth play an exhibition game in Cincy,attended a baseball camp in Arkansas hosted the the great Rogers Hornsby,attended the 1940,1961,1970,1975,1976 and 1990 World Series in Cincy.The man is a plethera of baseball history.Absolutely fascinating to hear him speak.His favorite player of al time was and still is Billy Werber of the 1939 and 1940 World champion Reds.Werber was an excellant 3rd baseman that played on the great 1927 Yankees team and was a staple in the infield at Fenway for many years.The Waite hoyt albums still pop up on Ebay from time to time generally in the Cincinnati area.I may be able to copy one of my tapes but can't guarantee the sound quality but Mr.Hoyt WILL take you back. :wink:
1glove2many
Rookie Glove Poster

July 25 Reds Game

Postby robin_buckeye » September 8th, 2007, 8:24 pm

Boy, I wish I had read this post before then. I was at that game with my son, sitting in Right Field behind Griffey (My son's favorite player is the Babe so he wears #3. I took a picture of him standing against the wall in his #3 LL All-Star uniform shirt with Griffey in his #3 behind him.).

I have a few old Reds mitts, Frank McCormick and Ival Goodman (my Dad's two favorite players). I also have a few more modern ones, Concepcion, Morgan, Bench and Larkin. I'm trying to collect all the Reds multiple Gold Glove winners.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Hey Reds fans

Postby softball66 » September 10th, 2007, 8:02 am

If anyone wishes me to send them a print breakdown on the Reds gloves I own, I will be happy to mail them that. I will need postal addresses.
At one time I'd put together a Red Machine starting lineup glove collection for a friend. Gullett and Geronimo were the tough ones and not sure I got those. I used to find heart of the hide Johnny Bench personal model for Bench and sold those to him. They finally got too hard to find.
If anyone wishes to contact me by personal email it is glovecollector@tx.rr.com. If they wish to provide their postal address I will send them what I have on print outs. May turn up some gloves that they didn't know existed.
I understand a Tony Freitas (30s Red) glove correct hand lefty will come up on eBay maybe in the next few weeks. It's in very nice shape. :lol:
softball66

Return to Vintage Gloves for Sale / Trade / Wanted