The Glovester needs Help!! OK, no Yankee comments!!

Pre-1970 gloves for that you are looking to sell, trade or looking for.

The Glovester needs Help!! OK, no Yankee comments!!

Postby theglovester » September 10th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Hey Guys, hope all is well, Finally some pretty weather here in East Tennessee and been baling hay every chance I can get. I picked this glove up a couple months ago on the cheap, and yeah it looks shot.... BUT, it is a JC Higgins with a decent cloth patch, really soft, no ink and is a 167??? either 6 or 0, with patent date on heel of palm. GC Alexander? Wagner? who knows but I like it, I have the cloth liner the padding is sewn to and most of the padding, I need a donor lining!! I am going to keep the original heel lining and blend the donor underneath like william did on the Cobb glove. There is enough inner lining left around the piping to attach the donor and a stitch here and there and it will be a great keeper, at least for my collection. Any lining will probably work as long as there ain't holes for palm laces like modern gloves and has complete finger stalls.

Problem.. I ain't got one!! I have a 1940's Rawlings G490 Bob Bowman that I would use but the lining is trashed in the thumb, Anyone have a model similiar to the Bowman splitfinger that has been chewed on, inked up, missing wrist strap or torn all to Hell or New York City?? This Old glove is definitely worth saving and I don't want to destroy a sound glove, I just can't destroy something that is still usable, That should be a Glove Collecting Commandment somewhere...anyway hope everyone a diamond in the flea market. Holler guys if you got something!!

Doing the battle of Chickamaga soon, Wearing BLUE... Should be fun, Grey wins.. LOL

Did something the other day, My boy helped me throw Hay Bales and he said "it sure is peaceful out her ain't it dad?" I thought about kids with nose, lip and whatever else pierced, saggy pants :roll: and texting every minute . I gave him a hug, told him "Love you mutt", "now hurry up and get the gate, I'm hungry" Hope he turns out OK..Image
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Re: The Glovester needs Help!! OK, no Yankee comments!!

Postby theglovester » October 4th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Well still looking for a donor lining, but thats ok, something to work on or look for this winter, SOOO.. I started the gentle soak,brush,dry,soak brush....and the model number is finally coming to light. That is if you look with your good eye and the sun is at out at exactly 12:35 EST.. Don't tell me everyone on here hasn't done that... Definitely A JC Higgins as per killer cloth patch on wrist strap, and I am 95% sure it is model #1674...Joe's source book says "Junior Professional" and is listed as a mid level glove. This one ain't mid level!! It is made similiar to my Speed S&D's, Rolled leather piping, double verticle tunnel, lazy S thumb seam reinforcement, come on--not a junior prof. model. The glove does NOT have the diverted seam in the finger crotches...Now I looked on JD's Gallery and nothing seems to match.. Oh there are no grommets in the heel.

Why am I bothering you guys, well, not one seam is torn, loose or nothing!! just like when it left where ever it was made. anyone have a clue on any endorsement?? or where any stampings may be?? Ah well, anyway someone got a pretty nice 3finger yeaterday on ebay, not bad for $275
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » October 4th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Hey Bubba, a JC Higgins 1674 could be a Pie Traynor model. Look familiar? The double tunnel loops match up but not the back. Maybe a different year? And no! You can't have the lining out of it.

JD

Go Dodgers!
Attachments
Pie Traynor JC Higgins 1674 Front.jpg
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby chippalini » October 9th, 2013, 10:41 pm

I probably shot at you at Chickamauga--was confederate artillery.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » October 10th, 2013, 7:40 am

Hey Chippalani-- Yep you got me!! But the CSA infantry looked awesome charging through the corn! Had the best seat in the house!! Loved how the cannon fire echoed back in that holler! And glad the rain stopped when it did. Are you doing Fort Sanders?? we be there, in GREY!!!! look me up the 59th TN CSA. Will have my Stonewall glove and a lemon peel ball, maybe play catch??

In a couple related topics.. Here we go... Traded making a picture frame for a CSA Branding Iron!!! Those who have been Drokesterized know my mind is a spinning on where to use it 8) , and yankee suggestions will be ignored... We trade out a lot down here in the south, Got a date with a purty blonde southern Belle once for a load of hay... I don't have anyone close to swap gloves with, and a swap only page could be fun on the forum, just a thought.
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby chippalini » October 10th, 2013, 1:33 pm

I travelled to Chickamauga from Texas, so I won't hit any of the local events there. The echoes were very cool, and I had a great time. Was nice to be near home again (was born and raised near Chattanooga).
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » October 10th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Hey Chip... did you do the BGA Gettysburg, in Huckabees up on the hill?? We camped between two Texas Companies.. Great guys, we may have brushed elbows, small world, Drokester
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby chippalini » October 10th, 2013, 9:48 pm

No, I didn't go to Gettysburg. Could only travel to 1 National event and decided to do Chickamauga. Had a great time. Really need to find a period ball game at an event--would be fun. I primarily do WWII reenacting, and break out the split fingers every chance I get.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Gloves for Sale / Trade / Wanted