Quick Note;

Pre-1970 gloves for that you are looking to sell, trade or looking for.

Quick Note;

Postby Mike**Mize » January 28th, 2007, 10:44 am

A quick note for some of you old timers and others. The Wilson A2034 Lefty Gomez fielder's I'm currently selling on eBay is one I bought from Art K. aka DEAK in Portland, Or. about 5 years ago. It really is just about the nicest one these I've ever seen. When I bought it, I was really just beginning to be able to identify high quality gloves. At that time I was collecting lots of fifties gloves like the Groth, the Dillinger. and even my first MMP. I remember calling Art up and asking him questions about glove collecting. He gave me lots of good friendly advice back then. I'll always remember how he sort of welcomed me into the hobby with the kind of good will that really made a lasting impression on me. I'd love to pass this glove along to another serious collector and keep the chain going.

Mike
Last edited by Mike**Mize on February 8th, 2007, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

The Lefty Gomez A2034

Postby Mike**Mize » February 2nd, 2007, 1:54 pm

Can anyone tell me why Wilson's are suddenly undervalued? I just sold a glove that's every bit as nice as the Rawlings Top-of-the-line gloves from the same era, that sell for three or four times as much, for $89.00. I am really pleased that the winning bidder, a long time collector, came in at the last minute and outbid the previous high bidder. Is Wilson all of a sudden, lesser quality than Rawlings? I really accept all of this as the mood of the market. I just think that some guys are missing the boat.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 2nd, 2007, 2:43 pm

I have found this as well, too. With the exception of the A2000 and some of the Nelson Fox personal models, the Wilson's usually don't do as well. Don' know why but that is the way the market is right now.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby spedrunr » February 2nd, 2007, 4:00 pm

the last 6 2034 gomez' gloves that i saw on ebay went from $40-$50 (there was a mint w/box that went for $300)

so your gomez almost doubled the average selling price :)
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glove-works » February 2nd, 2007, 6:09 pm

Like the top of the Spalding's of the 50's and 60's..they had been overlooked for a long time, with Rawling's being the front runner. Now the Spalding's are climbing.

That was a very nice Lefty you had, and should have fetched alot more ($150-$175 was my prediction)......It's a timing thing.

The A2000's, mass produced, and bringing outrageous premiums. I predict they'll start leveling out real soon, and it'll probably be the MacGregor's going through the roof.
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mudman » February 2nd, 2007, 8:47 pm

Just wanted to chime in and echo your thoughts on Art Katasapis. What a really fine man that was very helpful to me with this hobby.
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

Wilsons vs. Spaldings etc.

Postby Mike**Mize » February 9th, 2007, 1:07 pm

Well. ...thanks for all the feedback on the question of what's worth what. We're learning the same lessons that NYSE brokers learn. These different gloves have their highs and lows and that's that. I paid an honest $140 for that A2034 5 years ago. I don't regret it. It was a great glove to have around. At the same time...I don't know what made me so lucky, but a few days ago I put a $119 bid on a black calfskin Spalding 1" web and I won the darn thing. I received it yesterday and I'm beside myself. It's big and top quality and has the tell-tale lighter colored binding and it's on the shelf, on display and looking incredible. The conclusion to be drawn about this hobby is that as many people become involved with it, many people turn away. The new guys get enthusiastic, but they're not sure what's what. With the new eBay thing there's no way to really know for sure what's worth what, unless you have a feel for it or are willing to take chances. 8)
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Great to Have Art

Postby softball66 » February 10th, 2007, 11:34 am

Let me add that there's not a kinder or more considerate person than Art K. He's a great ambassador for baseball gloves and highly knowledgable on personal gloves. He and Bruce Rogers, both early day friends in this hobby, are neat guys to meet and correspond with. :P
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Gloves for Sale / Trade / Wanted