Did SSK pull out of the US again?

This is an archive section - it is read only

Did SSK pull out of the US again?

Postby etd » August 26th, 2007, 2:53 pm

I recently bought an SSK Pro Series glove for softball. When I went to find the SSK website, I noticed it was gone. Did they pull out of the US again? Are they ever coming back? This could explain why the glove was available at a good price.

This SSK Pro Series glove replaces a Made In Japan SSK Pro 2500 that I bought 10 years ago at Tri City Sporting Goods in Fremont, CA (which I heard no longer exists...too bad, it was one of the best places to buy baseball and softball equipment in Northern California). I used that glove for many seasons of softball. Amazingly, I bought the glove new for $40 as the store was getting rid of all of its SSK baseball gloves in stock. It was one of the best softball purchases I ever made.
etd
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Did SSK pull out of the US again?

Postby worldwin » August 30th, 2007, 7:09 pm

I don't think they are around much anymore, and may have pulled out again.

There were some retailers selling a customizable SSK glove (Made in China) but I don't know if you can still buy those.

If you have a connection in Japan, you can get a custom order made in Japan model. I am not sure how much they are...maybe $300 or so...I would have to ask.

I too have an SSK Pro 2500 made in Japan. It is blue, but faded. It looks a lot like an A2000 L. I also have a made in Japan SSK modified trap glove. That thing is a tank, and is really well made.

As for Tri City...that's a bummer! That place was cool! For those who don't know, Tri City Sporting Goods dubbed itself "The World's Largest Sporting Goods Store." It may have been...man, that thing was bigger than a large Costco Warehouse. I used to enjoy going there when I was younger, since they had a huge selection of stuff, many of which was high-end!

etd wrote:I recently bought an SSK Pro Series glove for softball. When I went to find the SSK website, I noticed it was gone. Did they pull out of the US again? Are they ever coming back? This could explain why the glove was available at a good price.

This SSK Pro Series glove replaces a Made In Japan SSK Pro 2500 that I bought 10 years ago at Tri City Sporting Goods in Fremont, CA (which I heard no longer exists...too bad, it was one of the best places to buy baseball and softball equipment in Northern California). I used that glove for many seasons of softball. Amazingly, I bought the glove new for $40 as the store was getting rid of all of its SSK baseball gloves in stock. It was one of the best softball purchases I ever made.
worldwin
Rookie Glove Poster

Sasaki, "The Catching Machine"

Postby softball66 » August 31st, 2007, 12:32 am

I remember when the SSK with the dimpled palm was introduced, I think in the late 1970s or early 1980s, the little holes to reduce ball spin, thus spinning out of your glove. I'm not sure the idea ever caught on but SSK had a U.S. patent on it.
Speaking of that, a couple of years ago I picked up an SSK USG-50, open web, very narrow wrist but I really like the feel of the glove and have played comfortable catch with it several times. It was made in China. Patch & stamping say "U & S"
Sort of surprised to hear they pulled out and also that the great Tri City may be closed.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Looks like SSK is getting back into the US glove market

Postby etd » October 31st, 2007, 1:35 am

It looks like SSK is getting back into the US glove market on a limited basis for 2008. They are only offering high end stock and custom gloves. Here's the website.

http://www.ssksports.com/en/baseball/
etd
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby worldwin » November 1st, 2007, 12:52 am

Yeah, but it's still crap that is made in China!

Once again, the companies are pushing their China made crap so that they can make big bucks, while concealing the fact that the high-end stuff is made in Japan.

There is no comparison to the stuff that is made in Japan and the stuff made in China...none!
worldwin
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information