Help with dating modern Rawlings gloves?

This is an archive section - it is read only

Help with dating modern Rawlings gloves?

Postby splinters » August 6th, 2007, 8:31 pm

can someone explain how the Rawlings dating system works? EBEK, BEEC, EAEO, etc...?

thanks, matt
splinters
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby fuzzydogg22 » August 6th, 2007, 8:54 pm

I would be interested if you found out any info on that as well. It has always been my thought that those 4-letter codes were the type of leather used on the glove. Wow, shows what I know I guess.
fuzzydogg22
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 6th, 2007, 9:38 pm

This has been explained somewhere here before and I hope the experts in this area will check in. All I remember is that it's a production/date code based on the word "blackhorse", with each letter representing a digit, one through nine.

There's more to it than that, I think, so I'm looking forward to an answer.

Another Rawlings question: What is indicated by the "dots" or "dot code" commonly found on Rawlings gloves?
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby fuzzydogg22 » August 6th, 2007, 9:52 pm

Bret, I have picked up that 5 dots mean the glove was produced in the year 2000. Doubt it helps but I thought it might :lol:
fuzzydogg22
Gold Glove Poster

Postby JC » August 7th, 2007, 10:16 am

Fuzzy, I believe that 5 dots indicate that a glove was made in a year ending in "0" or "5".
JC
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jackwhale » August 7th, 2007, 12:12 pm

I recently bought two new black Rawlings on the internet.

There was a paper label sewn into the wrist piping indicating that both were made in the Phillipines. I thought the code referred to place of manufacture. I guess not.

PRO TB 24 [EHEK = 0605 ?]
PROCMHCB2 [ECEK = 0405 ?]

I have wondered why these new gloves were available for such low prices in ebay auctions. Its surprising that they sat somewhere for over two years after manufacture. They're both really fine gloves.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

HOH Made in P.I.

Postby GloveGypsy » August 7th, 2007, 3:30 pm

......know what you are talking about with the Rawlings HOH gloves that are made in the P.I., Jack.

Last year, I sold a b-e-a-u-t-ful HOH PRO 504DHTL that was made in the Philippine Islands......and there was not one stitch out of alignment or off center. I mean everything was first rate on this glove.

I may still have pics of that glove, including the code under the thumb/wrist. if I do, I will post them to this message later tonight.

Man, that was some glove. Hope it's not in someone's hot car trunk or at the bottom of an equipment bag right now!!

Last edited by GloveGypsy on August 7th, 2007, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jackwhale » August 7th, 2007, 4:40 pm

lol I also found myself examining the perfect stitching and pattern cutting around the mitt. The mitt also 'feels' great in general. Nothing against our old American gloves but craftmanship certainly hasn't suffered at all with the move offshore.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Foreign Made Baseball Gloves

Postby GloveGypsy » August 7th, 2007, 5:10 pm

That's right, Jack. I love my U.S.A. made gloves, but when I look at some of my high end Japanese made ones, they are textbook. Nothing wrong with them at all.

Below is one that I picked up cheaply last year. It is a Wilson A2000 H-1 and it is Japanese made and a fine example of what you and Joe Phillips are referring to about quality imported gloves.

For me, I think the older designs, leathers and tanning processes is what conjures up fond memories that make it hard to pass up in the vintage U.S.A. made gloves.
My apologies for the large size of these photos, but these are older photos and I did not want to re-size them just yet.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jackwhale » August 7th, 2007, 5:34 pm

Great pictures. That one hasn't seen many balls in the pocket.

Similar my son's Wilson 2803 (Japan) Catcher's mitt which he used in the mid-90s. I think most high-end Wilsons are made in Korea now.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » January 8th, 2008, 2:14 pm

BretMan wrote:This has been explained somewhere here before and I hope the experts in this area will check in. All I remember is that it's a production/date code based on the word "blackhorse", with each letter representing a digit, one through nine.

Here is the link to the thread on the Rawlings date code. I have posted it for quick reference.

http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum.co ... p?=&p=1369
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby TUCRACMAN » January 18th, 2008, 10:32 pm

You know, I sleep with my glove. But I draw the line at "dating" it.
~D
TUCRACMAN
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information