Rawlings HOH Ox Blood

This is an archive section - it is read only

Rawlings HOH Ox Blood

Postby golfswing » August 3rd, 2007, 2:27 pm

Anybody tried one of the new ox blood HOH models? Looking for some opinions on these new gloves. Thanks in advance.
golfswing
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » August 3rd, 2007, 3:24 pm

I've tried them on for size. They feel like your typical HOH. Seeing more and more on TV, mostly on pitchers. Love the Oxblood color, but I'd go Primo every time.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

OX BLOOD

Postby splinters » August 6th, 2007, 8:27 pm

I think they are beautiful...however the oil treated leather makes them heavy ( wouldn't want a catchers glove or large glove because of the weight)....also the ox blood color starts to turn black over time...I have 2 of them.

-matt
splinters
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BillBethea19 » August 12th, 2007, 8:30 pm

there not bad I have a dula hinge and 2 modified trapeze gloves. They are very heavy but a must for collectors
BillBethea19
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » April 3rd, 2008, 9:30 pm

They are very well made. The leather seems real durable as well. They may be a tad on the heavy side but I don't think anyone who is on the forum is going to have their play affected by it.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » April 4th, 2008, 10:41 am

Well, I wouldn't be so sure about that BrotherRay! In my "over 80" hardball league, heavy gloves are something we try to avoid at all costs. Just last week one of our players had a heavily oiled glove and a strong breeze caused him to topple over. Five of us tried to stand him back up, but two of us ended up suffering hernias, two others strained their backs and had to be helped off the field, and the last guy just plain fell asleep (we think). We finally ended up calling the local fire department. Let's play two! LOL

br
wjr953

Postby jackwhale » April 4th, 2008, 1:35 pm

...and after a couple of years of playing, your glove arm is 3" longer than your throwing arm...
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby RichieRich » April 6th, 2008, 1:57 am

I have a HOH oxblood too and I love it. Of course, it's my first new glove in nearly 20 years. :lol:
RichieRich
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby space50 » April 8th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Well, to throw in my two cents, the new HOH's are nice, but they really make me appreciate the older Made in USA HOH's even more. As far as a modern gloves go, I think it's really hard to beat the Primos. They are a bit more (and certainly not cheap) than a modern HOH but compare the two. The feel, materials, and craftsmanship have it all over the HOH.
space50
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » April 8th, 2008, 3:54 pm

I'm sure the Primos live up to their hype but some of us ain't got Primo dollars to spend on a glove. My HOH's will one day be passed on to my grandkids and they will get just as much use and joy out of them as I have. To date, I haven't seen one major leaguer using a Primo so it makes me wonder if they are truly worth spending all that money.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » April 8th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Brotherray - I guess I'm fortunate enough(or crazy enough) to be able to spend "Primo money" on gloves. My son tried on a Primo and the first thing he said was that it was too heavy to use. With all the gloves at his disposal, his "gamer" ( for HS and Travel ball) is a Mizuno MWV-600 I paid $80 for on Ebay. I have four other MWV-600s but this one has thicker leather around the palm and is so broken in it just swallows up ground balls. My point is that there are gloves for show and gloves to get the job done. I'm always looking for gloves that perform the best and look good ( though that comes second to performance).
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » April 8th, 2008, 6:13 pm

We all love good looking gloves. To me, there isn't anything prettier than a Wing-Tip glove.

I recently picked up Pedro's glove, a Pro 200-4JR, BRAND NEW, for $50 on eBay. The glove is gorgeous and it doesn't have the snaps on the wrist strap but the traditional lacing which I like much better. I don't know how common this version is but it is very well made as is the Ox Blood my son uses. I am very impressed with what is coming out of the PI. I still believe that HOH and Made In The USA are like peanut butter & jelly and need to be reunited on more than a limited basis.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » April 8th, 2008, 6:22 pm

I take it the glove is blue? For pitching my son uses a very similar glove:

http://www.ballgloves.com/cgi-local/p.pl?PROS15TCBB

He loves it - it is now perfectly broken in. Only issue is there is a small tear starting between the index and middle fingers... A shame because the glove is still in mint condition and has only been used for pitching...
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby docglov » April 9th, 2008, 7:48 am

an old trick to stop the small tear, If you have the nerve or someone who knows how, what I do to save pro gloves with this problem is. Just across on each side of the small tear I make small holes that go straight through the gloves( don't get to close to the holes)then I run a lace through and tie a square knot in the back which effectively takes all the pull off the area that is tearing and really doesn't effect the preformance.
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » April 9th, 2008, 9:11 am

That sound's like a nice fix Bob. The other feature that I think works well is the mid-finger lacing you see on larger gloves. It really helps keep the fingers together as the glove gets older and floppier.

The Pedro glove is indeed blue. It's on a shelf right now as we may try to get him sign it on a trip to Shea this summer. I do have a question for Bob: How rare is the laced wrist strap compared to the snap wrist strap on this glove?
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Next

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information