New Rawlings Primo gloves

This is an archive section - it is read only

New Rawlings Primo gloves

Postby space50 » May 28th, 2007, 12:56 pm

What's the feeling about the new Rawlings Primo line of gloves?
space50
Rookie Glove Poster

PRIMO

Postby glove-works » May 28th, 2007, 6:51 pm

A little heavy, but absolutely incredible! Just picked up an 1150S for my son....it's the best new glove on the market!
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mudman » May 31st, 2007, 12:59 pm

It appears that Barry Zito uses one.
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » May 31st, 2007, 4:54 pm

I'm seeing quite a few MLB pitchers using them. Love mine...feel they're the best made gloves in a long time.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Rawlings Primo

Postby space50 » June 1st, 2007, 1:44 pm

Well I went ahead and purchased a new Primo trap- eze. This is a great glove! Don't be mislead by the designer glove aspect of the Italian leather(although it's pretty nice) this is a serious glove with a lot of inovations and top notch craftmanship. I'm still forming it the way I like it, but I can already tell this is about the best new glove going.
space50
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Hrking4675 » June 1st, 2007, 7:01 pm

I dont actually think the one Zito and Peavy use are Primo's. They have the "Gold Glove CO" Patch on the pinky which would lead me to believe they could be those new "Pull Up" HOH's. Not sure about this however.
Hrking4675
Gold Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » June 1st, 2007, 7:26 pm

You could be right HR...I know Rawlings is expanding the ' OX Blood' color leather to the HOH line for 2008
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Oxblood HOH

Postby space50 » June 1st, 2007, 8:23 pm

You are right, when I purchased my Primo I saw several models of the HOH line in the Oxblood color. I believe they have black lacing as oppposed to the Primo's oxblood color.
space50
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby worldwin » August 15th, 2007, 2:44 pm

I have yet to personally check out one of these gloves, and I was wondering if someone would please tell me where these gloves are made?

Thank you
worldwin
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby worldwin » August 15th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Hey Mr. Moose,

I had a feeling that's where they were made, but it's nice to have confirmation.

Thank you for the information!
worldwin
Rookie Glove Poster

Primo Gloves

Postby ebbets55 » August 30th, 2007, 4:44 pm

My pop just sent me this story on the Primo gloves.

JD

http://lioninoil.blogspot.com/2007/08/r ... eball.html

OR

Yogi Berra once said that "there's nothing more personal than your own baseball glove," and Rawlings is hoping to capitalize on that sentiment with its new glove, the Primo.

Rawlings has introduced the Primo as the culmination of 120 years worth of making gloves. It's taken two years to develop the glove, which features hand-sewn Italian leather forming an innovative three-layer design. Its maker claims it can be broken in to cater to specific positions.

The supposed best glove ever made is also the most expensive glove ever. It costs $400, or, more than what many people make in a week. The initial challenge for Rawlings isn't getting the gloves off the shelves, but onto the hands of major league stars.

High-wattage Rawlings clients - among them Derek Jeter and A-Rod of the New York Yankees, Jose Reyes of the crosstown Mets and Albert Pujols of the St. Louis Cardinals - all have so far declined to use the Primo in games, despite its apparently superior design. San Diego Padres shortstop Khalil Greene has one in his locker but to date has not switched.

The Primo so far has found love only from the Padres' Jake Peavy, the San Francisco Giants' Barry Zito, and the Seattle Mariners' Horacio Ramirez. All of them are pitchers, who are traditionally the least attached to their gloves.
The bond between player and glove is a delicate, intimate connection. Like talking to a pitcher while he's in the midst of a perfect game, gloves bring about many superstitions. Many won't let others touch them, and gloves are often differentiated between practice and game use. So the battle to get players to switch is undoubtedly an uphill battle.

Ted Sizemore, a former Dodger who is now Rawlings's chief liaison with MLB players, is doing his best to address this. One of his tactics is to persuade minor-league prospects, not yet set in their ways, to wear the Primo during spring training. "You get them to like the color and the feel and the weight of the glove," he says. "A few start using it, and word of mouth spreads."

But as a former player, Sizemore understands the Sisyphean nature of his task. "It's very hard to get a player to change from something he really loves," he says.
It's interesting that the challenge is to get the big leaguers to switch, not the kids and fans who emulate them. The sticker price doesn't seem to be an issue for the parents and amateur players, who as the competition grows leans upon better supposed equipment to succeed. And it isn't the issue for the players either, as they get them for free. It's the comfort factor, stupid.

Rawlings, in other words, has come up with the most lavish glove ever but has yet to persuade any everyday players to use it. Some have grumbled that it is too heavy; others just think it's bad karma to switch.
If Rawlings and Sizemore are up to the challenge, they'll have Primo's on their star players next spring training. And if they can succeed with the Primo, then we can only imagine the price of the next great "best glove ever."
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby worldwin » August 30th, 2007, 5:12 pm

Contrary to popular belief...or should I say myth...the Primo is not the most expensive glove out there. As far as I know, that distinction goes to the Mizuno Pro Custom gloves that are made in Japan. Yes, that's right, Mizuno still does make gloves in Japan, and in my opinion, they are second to none when it comes to quality.

Right now, a Mizuno Custom Pro will set you back almost $500 bucks...but with that you can customize your glove any way you want.

Personally, I have not had the pleasure of holding a Primo...so I don't have an opinion on the quality, but I do find it strange that MLB players are not using them.

On the other hand, I own a couple of the Mizuno Pro Custom gloves, and I know that many MLB players use these gloves as well. It may be not only because the gloves are awesome, but also because the gloves are made by single craftsman who creates the glove to the player's specifications.

I just think that many people don't know about the Mizuno Pro gloves simply because they are not marketed here in the US, which is a total bummer!

I have even contacted Mizuno USA about gloves being made in Japan. They will tell you that all of their gloves are made in China, which is BS. Another thing that gets me, is that on their web site they show you what gloves certain pros use. The gloves they show you definitely don't match what the pro use...again, total BS!

Bottom line, if you want the best glove made (my opinion of course) get one of the Mizuno Pro Custom gloves from Japan...you won't be disappointed!

Ok, I will get off my soapbox now...
worldwin
Rookie Glove Poster

primo

Postby spedrunr » August 30th, 2007, 6:39 pm

at the risk of offending, i've had the priviledge of owning (but not playing catch with) the pro I-x infield style primo and the "Pro-T" style outfield model. the leather looks and feels like the really expensive, like my wife's designer handbag that she would do a fear factor stunt for.

it felt heavy and oil impregnated (the glove, not my wife :lol: ). and like most pre-oiled gloves, i don't know how long it would maintain it's form and firmness. it felt like it was about half broken in already.

again, i haven't used one, just flipped it when they were hot a few months back on ebay.

ed
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information