Differences in Rawlings models?

This is an archive section - it is read only

Differences in Rawlings models?

Postby golfswing » January 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Have been looking at Rawlings custom glove options on various websites and am a little confused about the differences in models of the same size glove.

I realize that some of the differences may be very subtle but can someone please explain the differences in the following Rawling models?

11.25 gloves
PRO88
PRONP2
PRONP3L

11.5 gloves
PRO200
PRONP4
PRODJ2

11.75 gloves
PRONP5
PRO200

Thanks in advance for the help.
golfswing
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » January 8th, 2009, 1:20 am

That is a great question Golfswing! I'm especially interested in the differences between the PRODJ2 and the PRONP4.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby baseballer935 » January 8th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Hi Golfswing,

I ordered a custom HOH 11.75 Inch PRO200 off www.baseballsavings.com. All PRO200 models have the single welting going down the fingers and don't have the welting going in between the fingers into the palm area like the others do. They also don't have the piece of leather underneath the web that is attached to the palm area.
The PRO88 has the piece of leather and the welting on the back of the finger and inbetween the fingers, and also is the only glove that has the straight welting going down the thumb area of the glove.

To me, baseballsavings.com has the best customization picture and really shows you the differences between models and what your glove will look like.

Hope this helps.

-Kyle
"If you follow the crowd, you might just get lost in it."
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Hrking4675 » January 9th, 2009, 2:32 pm

It's not just an aesthetics issue with welting and the web reinforcements.

PRO88: Narrow and deep pocket 11.25" glove. Where the welting is on the fingers means little about the glove other than a reinforcing stitch that is needed because of the way the pattern is designed. This glove also has the two laces running through the palm. (Not a fan of the PRO88 at all)
PRONP2: Smaller version of the PRONP4. Wide and flat pocket just shorter than an NP4, which in my opinion feels bigger than 11 1/2 and the NP5 feels bigger than 11 3/4, but the NP2 feels really close to 11 1/4. Since the NP2 is a smaller glove, it only has 2 laces on the thumb/pinky as opposed to three on the larger NP's. These also have a leather reinforcement behind the web area. I'm not exactly sure of this, but I am pretty sure it is because the pocket is so flat that area of the glove takes a beating over time and it helps not destroy the laces. (Also seen on the PRO88, NP3,4,5)
PRONP3(L): I might be wrong on this one, but I'm pretty sure I'm right here. The NP3 is the same as the NP2 only it has a modified conventional back. Again, its a fairly wide and flat (not as flat as the NP2, because of the back). Also, like the NP2, NP4, and NP5 this one has the extra hinge lace at the crotch of the glove to allow it to be so wide.

PRO200: Very standard 11 1/2 inch pattern. Square shaped, meaning its not too deep or wide. Pretty much allows it to be used anywhere in the infield and with any sort of web, and it will work with that web.
PRONP4: Basically an augmentation of the NP2. Depending on the glove, it feels like 1/4 or 1/2 inch bigger than the NP2. Wide and flat. As described above, it has three laces on the thumb/pinky and has the 3 lace crotch. Exception to the rule: PROSNP4G- Grey Eagle NP4 labeled as 11 1/4, but felt like 11 1/2.
PRODJ2: Kind of the inbetween of the 200 and NP4. My custom DJ2 with SP web and the store DJ2 models I have seem to be shaped squarely like the 200, but as wide as the NP4. The DJ2's pocket is flat, but not as flat/shallow as the NP4, but not as deep as the PRO200. It is a little wider than the 200 and also has the three lace crotch. Weird Exception: Some of the earliest DJ2's were shown in catalogs with the two sets of laces running though the palm. I've never seen one on Ebay or in person, but you never know. Might have been an error.

PRONP5: Augmentation of the NP4 in 11 3/4 size. Basically everything above. I've never felt an NP5 without thinking it was closer to a 12" though.
PRO200 11 3/4 size: Same as above only with longer fingers adding the 1/4 inch. True to size in my opinion.
Hrking4675
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » January 9th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Thanks for that completely thorough breakdown Hrking! I found the comparison between the DJ2 and NP4 very helpful.

My guess is the PRO217-2 is a variation of the PRO200. I recently purchased two of them; one GG and one HOH. Excellent glove for a youth player. They replaced my son's Oxblood NP5 which definitely felt like a 12 inch glove.

My big issue with these infield gloves is the wrist strap not being long enough. I have to relace the strap to the last set of holes, even for my boy. This was done on my DJ2 and both of the 217's for my son.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Lugnut » January 9th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Brotherray, how old is your son. I'm curious as to what age the PRO217 would be appropriate for. I don't see a listing for the PRO217-2...is it the same as PRO217?
Lugnut
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » January 9th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Lugnut wrote:Brotherray, how old is your son. I'm curious as to what age the PRO217 would be appropriate for. I don't see a listing for the PRO217-2...is it the same as PRO217?

I'm guessing it's the same as the 217. My son is 12 and is playing U13 competitive baseball. The glove is listed at 11" which I believe to be accurate. I originally picked up the GG version because I knew it would break in fast and it was a deal I could not pass up. The HOH came later and it was another deal I could not pass up. He plays 3B, SS, and 2B.

The HOH is a glove he will be able to use through HS, probably at 2B or SS. He can borrow my DJ2 for SS or 3B if he doesn't have another glove that is bigger by then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=012
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Lugnut » January 9th, 2009, 4:52 pm

that's funny, I was watching that HOH auction on ebay.
Lugnut
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » January 9th, 2009, 5:33 pm

That 217-2NB is very shallow, great for the MI. The glove I relaced last fall with Red laces is a 217-2NB. You got a great deal on it too. If for some reason it is not to your taste, please let me know. I really regret selling the one I had.
Clint
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » January 9th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Clint,

I do remember that glove. You did a nice re-lace job and I always liked red laces on a black glove.

It is a shame that this glove isn't readily available as I think the pattern is a great fit for youth players and adults. Do you still have the pics of your glove?
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » January 11th, 2009, 2:40 pm

awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » January 11th, 2009, 2:50 pm

Hey Clint! Thanks for taking the time to repost the photos. Make sure you also post them on the new forum! :D
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » January 11th, 2009, 7:32 pm

will do
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information