Pro Preferred dye job

This is an archive section - it is read only

Pro Preferred dye job

Postby oakfan33 » December 28th, 2008, 9:08 pm

I picked this glove up the other day and decided that this would be a good candidate for a dye job. I've always wanted to dye a glove. This one started out as a 2 tone Pro Preferred model PROS12JA. The entire palm , webbing, wrist strap, finger pad, sides of the thumb and pinky were camel. My first attempt at this.
oakfan33
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby quaz95 » December 28th, 2008, 9:38 pm

where did you buy the dye? what an great job, did you take out the laces? i might do a modified trap that is beat up.

john
"To live is Christ to die is Gain."
quaz95
Veteran Glove Poster

nice job...

Postby fredderf » December 28th, 2008, 9:56 pm

How long is the curing time on that dye? Looks pretty even though
fredderf
Veteran Glove Poster

Looks good

Postby hi chunky » December 28th, 2008, 11:15 pm

Great job! Keep us updated. I'm curious to see if the dye fades or wears through. Anyone else have long term experience with home brew dye jobs?
hi chunky
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby oakfan33 » December 28th, 2008, 11:39 pm

I bought the dye at a local shoe repair shop here in town. I didn't take any laces out, just untied the square knots or whatever kind of knots they're called. The applicator really gets into the nooks and crannies very well. I lifted up the laces and got the dye under them. The dye is very easy to apply and goes on very evenly. I even went around all the edges first and made sure all the details were done first and went back and did the big areas after. Even after going back to those areas, it didn't look uneven. The glove just soaked up the dye real well. The brush ( brush made specially for dye, bought at a craft store) made it real nice around the patches and under some difficult to reach areas. I put a thick piece of paper, like the cover of a phone book under the edge of the Rawlings patch and used the brush to apply the dye so the dye wouldn't bleed onto the patch, worked real well. The paper prevented the dye from getting on the patch. The bottle says to wait 24 hours to cure. I cleaned the glove with a degreaser before I started. It was a water based kind that is diluted with water and the camel color dried the same color, didn't darken it. I kind of took note of that before I started dying it.
oakfan33
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » December 29th, 2008, 12:50 pm

oakfan, really nice job. Looks like a pro.

Tell us how you got around the Rawlings script on the index finger.
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby oakfan33 » December 29th, 2008, 9:58 pm

Thank you for the nice compliments. That part of the glove was already black so nothing had to be done. The side of the pinky where it has the ID # was tan as well as the other corner on the thumb. If the back was tan, I would have just dyed the Rawlings script logo also. I wouldn't have been able to get around that.
oakfan33
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » December 29th, 2008, 10:08 pm

Got it. You know, us old school single color glove guys get confused with all the colors. :oops:

Really, though, best dye job I've ever seen and being an old school single color glover, an improvement. :P
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » January 1st, 2009, 3:40 pm

One on the better jobs I've seen. Well done.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby aliciabb » January 1st, 2009, 7:12 pm

Great Job! Nice and slick. I wonder if masking fluid would of worked if you needed to save the yellow embroidery.
aliciabb
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information