Will a very stiff glove ever soften up much in the palm area

This is an archive section - it is read only

Will a very stiff glove ever soften up much in the palm area

Postby RedSoxFan81 » December 28th, 2008, 5:08 pm

I just was curious about your guys experience regarding this. I definitely am not a fan of floppy / overly soft gloves. However, I'm an infielder and hate gloves that are so hard through the palm area that ever time you field a ground ball it wants to bounce off the palm rather than stick and stay put. I field the ball with both hands but still when a glove is doing this it's a pain in the @$$. I was curious what'd be my best approach with a glove like this? I don't want to put anything on the palm area if I can avoid it. The glove is already heavy as is. If you absolutely hammer on a glove with a glove mallet for a long time, can you break it down enough that it'll soften even a glove with a firm palm section?
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Turn_Two19 » December 29th, 2008, 6:22 pm

As you suggest, your best bet is to beat the daylights out of the palm area.

Maybe use a little Lexol NF, and beat the the palm mercilessly (and work the hinge). It will eventually soften to your liking...
Turn_Two19
Rookie Glove Poster

Extra Hard Gloves

Postby Glovenut 1 » December 29th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Yeah; Lexol NF is a help and so is pure Lanolin paste. A Nokona glove mallet (or something similar), will go a long way to assisting you and for sure- kneading it while watching TV is great for the glove and your fingers.

Turn the finger tips in a bit and massage the leather thoroughly in the pocket, especially where the pocket meets the web. The base of the thumb and pinkie should also receive some preferential treatment. You'll be glad you did this because once the glove is broken-in, you'll be a happy camper.

By the way- what make/model is it. Sounds like something I'd sure like. Better stiff than droopy. Well- you know what I mean!

Keep me posted about your efforts. Don't heat the glove artificially or attempt a "quick fix". It takes a bit of time and effort; but it's worth it!

Kindest regards,

Glovenut 1
Your next glove will be the best one you own!
Glovenut 1
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » December 29th, 2008, 8:01 pm

as far as heating a glove, i've actually had great results using a blow dryer (on low) to open up the pores of the glove before applying a VERY THIN LIGHT layer of conditioner in the palm. it relieves the need to rub it in like crazy to get the leather to take it in.

you can also just leave it in the car on a sunny day for 10-20mins (but i recommend keeping out of direct sunlight to avoid fading)
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

heating a stiff glove

Postby Glovenut 1 » December 29th, 2008, 8:12 pm

I meant by artificial heating- ovens, and the junk you can get in cans that really heats-up gloves.

Ofcourse- 15 or 20 minutes in the sun shouldn't do any damage and neither should a portable heater on a low setting. Common sense is the order of the day. Sadly- some great gloves are ruined from over-experimentation.

I agree with "spedrunr". If you do this chore while watching TV; the time goes by quickly and it's a lot more relaxing. Besides- my wife usually leaves me alone. Just joking dear!

Cheers,

Glovenut 1
Glovenut 1
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby RedSoxFan81 » December 29th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Here is the glove I'm working on. I bought it used and I really like it. Just need the palm to soften up a little.

The glove brand is Rolin, you can buy them here in the US, and in Mexico. This glove has retained a lot of firmness for being used. I'm guessing a lot of people who like a stiffer glove would definitely like it.
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Rolin needs breaking-in

Postby Glovenut 1 » December 29th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Hi again;

I suspected this would be the glove in question! As you'll recall, I wrote to you about these Rolins last week.

They do take time. The hides are very thick steer and remember- these are likely range steers that aren't taken until they're three or more years old (like things used to be in the States). Remember also that the Mexican laws governing tanning are likely much more relaxed than in the States. Combine these elements and you'll get leather that is time-consuming to break-in.

You may call it a "royal pain" now; but once this beast is tamed; you'll be a happy camper. Trust me- I have 5 Rolins. Three of these are very stiff Bullhide. Not everyone's "cup of tea", but these are great value and very different from what we're used to in Canada and the U.S.A.

It'll all work-out. just be a bit patient. Good things come to those who endure a little hardship.

Glovenut 1
Glovenut 1
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby RedSoxFan81 » December 29th, 2008, 10:54 pm

Yeah, I remember talking to you about the glove. It probably is like you said and is going to take a lot of time / effort to get it but it'll be well worth it. The glove I have I think has the bull hide too, it has a picture of a bull and says " Best of the Bull" right near it. Mine is the XPT model , which they claim to be their top tier glove from what I gathered on the website.It really has that distinct leather smell to it. I think it's gonna make a great infield glove for playing shortstop for softball.
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information