HOH MEsh back guys

This is an archive section - it is read only

HOH MEsh back guys

Postby quaz95 » November 18th, 2008, 8:36 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rawlings-PRO200-2PM ... dZViewItem
Hey guys im sure you mesh backers saw this in ebay just thought i would post a link for it. It looks kinda cool, just dont know if im willing to try a mesh back, other then the one i had when i was 9 :wink:

john
"To live is Christ to die is Gain."
quaz95
Veteran Glove Poster

Mesh Back HOH's

Postby Perfect Game » November 18th, 2008, 11:41 am

How do you guys like the looks of this ARod Mesh Back?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=025
Gold Glove Poster
Perfect Game
Rookie Glove Poster

mesh..yuck

Postby splinters » November 18th, 2008, 11:49 am

I like wool hats and leather gloves.....why would I want mesh unless it was 1/4 the price....that is like paying the same price for a polyester suit as you would a wool suit....I still can't dunk with Air Jordans on and a couple ounces difference in glove weight is not going to have an impact on my fielding.
splinters
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: mesh..yuck

Postby wjr953 » November 18th, 2008, 12:11 pm

splinters wrote:why would I want mesh unless it was 1/4 the price....that is like paying the same price for a polyester suit as you would a wool suit...

That's a valid point, I was thinking along those lines myself. First of all, I'm not a fan of the mesh-backed gloves for a number of reasons:

1) I prefer an all-leather glove.

2) I don't think the mesh back will hold up as long as an all-leather glove in the long term.

3) I don't think they look all that good.

These are just MY opinions, so for you mesh-back lovers out there, please don't go jumping up and down and getting all red in the face about it. Getting back to the original point, the mesh-back has 25% (?) less leather than a conventional glove, but the price is the same or higher than an all-leather glove. Hmmm? Isn't that like the cereal makers giving you a bigger outer box with less actual cereal content and more air inside, but charging you the same price while calling it "new and improved". I prefer to get my money's worth. If I go to the Doctor's off ice for a check-up, I have to give them a co-pay, so I'm not interested in meeting with the Physician's Assistant, unless I'm allowed to pay 1/2 price for my co-pay. Again people, this is MY opinion, it's not a knock on anyone else's likes or dislikes.

br
wjr953

Postby Brotherray » November 19th, 2008, 5:00 pm

I'm not a huge mesh back fan either but those new oxblood HOH's could go on a diet.

For kicks I weighed an original PRO-T I have against a new PRO-601P Oxblood and the difference was about equal to the weight of a baseball, 5 ounces. I also know 5 ounces will not make me a better fielder but since I know better the extra weight does make the glove more uncomfortable to wear as opposed to my PRO-T. Rawlings should charge less money since they are using cheaper materials to make the glove lighter but we will pay anyway.

My son trains with a 6 ounce baseball in the off-season. While it is only a 1 ounce difference, the ball is 20% heavier than a standard baseball which is a pretty significant increase.

I will say that I would make an exception for that A-Rod glove. Very unique.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby bs » November 19th, 2008, 6:15 pm

My question about these mesh back gloves is why the oil tanned leather?

The sales pitch is that they are lightweight performance based product, right? Why not use the traditional dry black or dry tan leather? The glove would be light and may even keep its shape awhile since the dry leather does have some body to it.

Now if the sales pitch is they are cool looking gloves and they help our bottom line because they use less of the expesive leather and more of the cheap mesh. Also they will increase sales because they become floppy quickly so you can buy another glove. Then I aggree the the oiled oxblood is great choice.
bs
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » November 19th, 2008, 7:31 pm

bs - you make a very good point! It appears to be more of a "quick break-in glove" than a "light weight / high performance glove".
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information