David Wright

This is an archive section - it is read only

Postby yankees23 » November 16th, 2008, 7:25 am

I live in NY and watch a lot of yankee and mets games. Both of them Arod and Wright have great numbers but don't even come close to Manny when he want's to play. He is hand's down the most intimidating hitter in baseball followed by Pujlos. Arod and Wright are great at hitting when the pressure is off. I get so sick of seeing them hit homers when the game is out reach and someone else has already come through. I didn't think Wright was like Arod but after watching him this year he seems to be following Arod's unclutch ways. They are both great players and I would not want to see them on other teams but when you watch them everyday you see them for what they really are. And as for Wright god forbid you say anything negative about Wright's fielding the Met fans go nuts. Just so you know I have heard talk that eventually they would like to move him from 3rd to either 1st or the outfield.
yankees23
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Paulypal » November 16th, 2008, 11:47 am

As i stated earlier I live in NY and I am a Mets fan, but I wouldnt even put ARod and Wright in the same sentence. Wright has a ways to go and ARod can be a 10 top player when its all said and done.

As far as "clutch" and "choke" goes I admit ARod was horrendous in 2008 (although still posted an OPS over 1.000 - most player would kill for that) especially in "clutch" spots, but in 2007 he was a monster. So now you have the same player being clutch and choking...so what is he?

Arod gets bashed for the 2004 collapse against the Sox, but lets not forget he was probably the MVP upto and including game 4 of the NLCS. He crushed Minnesota, and was hammering the Sox upto game 4 (lets not forget he hit a 2 run homer that put the Yanks up in game 4 that Rivera blew) then the WHOLE TEAM fell apart.

Living in NY you know that when our lord and savior..uhh I mean Derek Jeter stinks nothing is said. Arod was been hammered for hitting in 16 double plays in 2008, but Jeter has hit into 24 and not a peep has been said.

Reggie Jackson has been labled clutch and MR October, but even he has disappeared in some post seasons...so the same guy is clutch and stinks.....just like a player would during a long regular season. Here take a look yourself:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jacksre01.shtml

Again for the purposes of this board Wrights glove can be had for 300 and Arod for 1300 ...nuff said. LOL. Honestly I am not a big fan of mesh backs but Arods glove is a really nice piece of equipment. I guess I am just really partial to Rawlings.
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby RedSoxFan81 » November 16th, 2008, 1:01 pm

I want Arods mesh glove so bad, too bad it's outta my price range :(

You are so right though, no matter what Jeter does he NEVER gets any criticism. I know he was on the teams that one it but people seem to forget that all those years the Yankees won it and Jeter was on the team, those teams were STACKED. You could have put lots of other MLB shortstops in his place and they still would have won it.
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » November 16th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Look, I am not Met crazy to the point that I am blind. This team did collapse to seasons in a row, but Wright and Reyes (since you bring up two players that are both superstars in their mid twenties) are not to blame. Wright excelled in 07 while Reyes did well this year down the stretch.

Wright has a bad reputation for fielding because when he first came up he was prone to erratic throwing. He has improved on that. If you watch closely without the preconception you will see Wright is a great fielder and he plays that barehanded play coming in from third better than anyone since Brosius (and I'm not a Yankees fan).

As for Feliz, please. He wasn't even good enough to be the everyday starter. Mull these over:

Wright: Innings = 1433.1
FPCT = 974
Total Chances = 660

Feliz: Innings = 980.1
FPCT = 974
Total Chances = 305

That's ridiculous to even say Pedro Feliz should be the GG winner. Please, do some research before you write. Oh, and I happen to not hate the Phillies.

As for Reyes, again just look at the numbers:

159 games
113 runs scored
204 hits
37 doubles
19 triples
16 HR
68 rbi
327 total bases
66 walks
56 stolen bases
.358 obp
.475 slg
.297 avg.

I'll take that any day of the week.

:lol:
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Tweener510 » November 16th, 2008, 2:27 pm

Hey opticsp,
He wasn't a good enough HITTER to be an everyday starter! You so clearly miss the point that while baseball requires you to play both defense and offense the GG is only about defense. I'll be honest, I think wright is awesome, one of my favorite players in baseball now. But why don't you mull these over...

http://baseballevolution.com/asher/gold ... w2007.html

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nation ... _gold.html

http://www.fieldingbible.com/

Do some research before I write? I guess Bill James needs to do some more research as well, because clearly you've seen every angle.

-Josh
Tweener510
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » November 16th, 2008, 3:37 pm

In order to be considered the best defensive player you have to play and if the only way to get to play is to hit...I hardly consider opinion research. I think we both have our opinions, and they are clear. Still consider the numbers:

453 more innings played
355 more chances

Wanting a guy like Feliz to win is like saying Daniel Murphy should get the MVP.

By the way, I do agree that last year Zimmerman or even Chipper should have won.

Anyway, this is a glove forum and I don't like the new A2k or A2000!
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Paulypal » November 16th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Wright winning twice in a row is a classic example of what I said earlier.... Perception is 90% of the deal.

Some guys get labled with things by the media which trickles down to the fans and they live with these things no matter what or how far away from reality it is.

As far as Jeter goes...The Yanks win there 4 WS titles if Nomar, ARod, or Vizquel was on the team. They had 4 great starters and a lights out bullpen. Period.
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovin » November 16th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Paulypal wrote:Wright winning twice in a row is a classic example of what I said earlier.... Perception is 90% of the deal.

Some guys get labled with things by the media which trickles down to the fans and they live with these things no matter what or how far away from reality it is.

As far as Jeter goes...The Yanks win there 4 WS titles if Nomar, ARod, or Vizquel was on the team. They had 4 great starters and a lights out bullpen. Period.

stop hatin...nobody's saying that wright is the best player in the league...but he IS one of the elite players...i just like him cause he doesn't really have a significant weakness in his game...i seriously think reyes is more overrated than wright
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Paulypal » November 16th, 2008, 7:43 pm

glovin wrote:
Paulypal wrote:Wright winning twice in a row is a classic example of what I said earlier.... Perception is 90% of the deal.

stop hatin...nobody's saying that wright is the best player in the league...but he IS one of the elite players...i just like him cause he doesn't really have a significant weakness in his game...i seriously think reyes is more overrated than wright

Hatin? Me? I dont think so. I like David Wright and think he can be a truly great all around player. My point was I dont think he is there yet. I dont put him on the level of ARod, Pujols, Manny..no way..not yet.
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovin » November 16th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Paulypal wrote:
glovin wrote:

Hatin? Me? I dont think so. I like David Wright and think he can be a truly great all around player. My point was I dont think he is there yet. I dont put him on the level of ARod, Pujols, Manny..no way..not yet.

ok, i agree with u in the sense that he's not an arod, pujols, or manny yet...but he's still pretty damn good...i'm thinking more chipper and jeter level
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Paulypal » November 16th, 2008, 10:50 pm

pretty damn good for sure......i wouldnt trade Wright for too many other players for sure

took a few posts but we got to agree.

I think if Wright goes back to Rawlings I may feel different :wink:
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovin » November 16th, 2008, 11:14 pm

Paulypal wrote:pretty damn good for sure......i wouldnt trade Wright for too many other players for sure

took a few posts but we got to agree.

I think if Wright goes back to Rawlings I may feel different :wink:

http://www.lrmemo.com/product_p/dw-gu-fg-extreme.htm
i want
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovin » November 17th, 2008, 3:00 pm

it's pretty cool how David Wright, Ryan Zimmerman, B.J. Upton, and Justin Upton all grew up together and played ball together...imagine all of them on the same team (except justin cause he was too young)
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Goldy the Gopher » November 17th, 2008, 3:19 pm

I think Michael Cuddyer was also around that area of virginia. I may be way off though
Goldy the Gopher
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » November 17th, 2008, 5:48 pm

There was a great article in SI on their coach, Towny Townsend http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1145707/index.htm
My son is now using the hitting disc those guys trained on, lots of fun in the front yard and I'm not worried about getting killed by a ball
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information