Baseballsavings.com Custom HOH

This is an archive section - it is read only

Baseballsavings.com Custom HOH

Postby baseballer935 » October 29th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Hi everyone,

New on this. I ordered a custom black dry HOH on baseballsavings.com. Does anyone have any expereince with these? Is the leather horween and where are they made? Also how long does it really take to ship? Thanks everyone and I will be sure to post pictures when the glove arrives.

Thanks,

Kyle
"If you follow the crowd, you might just get lost in it."
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby glovin » October 30th, 2008, 12:17 am

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=78709&highlight=horween

according to this post...only the "oil black" gloves are made from horween leather, and not the dry black leather, which is weird because everyone associates horween leather with the dry leather that they produced from back in the day but then again the glove was ordered from a different place...i seriously doubt that matters though...let us know if the glove is legit when you receive it!
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Thanks

Postby baseballer935 » October 30th, 2008, 9:01 am

Thanks for the reply glovin,

I emailed Don Morton about his custom HOH and he said that the black dry was horween and black oiled was not. I hope he is correct as I like my gloves stiff and horween is the way to go. I emailed baseballsavings.com but they have not replied yet. I think black oil looks better but black dry I thought would last longer since it is hopefully horween. I ordered the glove about 3 1/2 weeks ago so it should be here in probably 2 weeks and I will be sure to put up a ton of pictures with it :D .

Thanks Everyone
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby samgonzo » October 30th, 2008, 10:11 am

I too have order many custom gloves from Don Mortons, by the way they are by far the cheapest and in my mind offer the best customer service around, and the dry black leather for their HOH are the same quality as the stock HOH gloves. The black oil leather, which was the only type of leather that you were able to get until recently, are softer and easier to break in. I have also ordered custom gloves from Hq4 sports, (happy with), and eastbay (extremely disappointed), before Doc glove started making them.

Sam
samgonzo
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Cusser » October 30th, 2008, 3:20 pm

I've made two purchases from Don Mortons (stock tan HOH) and have been satisfied.
Cusser
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ENRI26 » October 30th, 2008, 4:25 pm

I also purchased 2 Don Morton's HOH ...I dont want to say I was not satisfied, but the weight of the gloves were too heavy and the gloves seemed to be bigger than what they were labeled. I bought a XPG3 directly from Don Morton website and a used PRO1000HC from eBay.
I sold them both.
MSgt J. Enriquez
ENRI26
Veteran Glove Poster

OK

Postby baseballer935 » October 30th, 2008, 5:19 pm

Thanks again,

So do you guys think that black dry is better than black oil in terms of stiffer and lasting longer?
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby docglov » October 31st, 2008, 9:24 am

catch 22 not better if you don't protect with some sort of protection or type of oil the dry ones will tear eaiser I tend to at least oil around the palm side lace holes, just a small circle and the finger crotchs ( thats the name of the "V" between the fingers) so no grinng...
Doc
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby yankees23 » October 31st, 2008, 11:25 am

Doc,

It seems more and more that the newer HOH and P.P. gloves are tearing or not stitched well at those crotch area's of the gloves where the welting is sewn. My son has a glove a PRO-DJ2 HOH glove that he loves but I just noticed that crotch area is starting to tear as well as the thumb side welting near the web. As you know most of us on the forum pretty much do take extra care to avoid these problems but it just seems to be a for gone conclusion that it is eventually going to happen. I just ordered him a new custom and hope that this glove will hold up a little better.
I am just suprised because I have a HOH PRO-TB all horween in and out and that glove still doesn't show and signs of welting seperation even though it is almost 20 years old. Maybe most owners/customers don't notice as much as us because I guess we are what they call glove "geeks"
yankees23
Veteran Glove Poster

Thanks Doc glove

Postby baseballer935 » October 31st, 2008, 6:19 pm

I will be sure to put a light coating of oil on it when I get it, I just don't like the slippery feel I like my gloves stiff. I emaled Lindsey Naber from Rawlings and she said this:

"Black oil is horween, but the black dry is going to be stiffer than the oiled. The black dry is stiffer than the horween, because of the oil content. We just use a different tanning process for different playing preferences; it's still considered HOH leather."

So I can live with the glove not being Horween as long as it is just as durable.

Thanks
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby fuzzydogg22 » October 31st, 2008, 8:45 pm

Just so you know, Horween is a leather brand, not a type of leather. Today's "Horween" is hardly the quality and stiffness it was 15+ years ago. So it really means nothing to say a new glove is from Horween, it is just one of many leather manufacturers.
"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours." -Yogi Berra
fuzzydogg22
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information