Do Pro Preferred's have a "pop out" effect?

This is an archive section - it is read only

Do Pro Preferred's have a "pop out" effect?

Postby Paulypal » October 28th, 2008, 8:57 am

I have read in a few places including a current thread on here that Pro Preferred pockets have a rebound effect making the ball pop out.

Any validity to that?

The reason why I am asking is because I am currently breaking in and using a Pro Pref.
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby swingman » October 28th, 2008, 4:56 pm

I'm one of a few that has mentioned about the pop out effect on the pro preferreds.
First and foremost I feel that Pro Preferreds are a different breed of gloves. Its a hit or a miss with players. It's either you hate it or love it. The kip leather is nice and soft, but I think its the index finger gel pad that makes the glove feel different then any other glove. The glove breaks in differently then any other glove. I'm yet to see any pro preferred with drooped fingers. Not to sure if they are actual gel pads in the finger stalls but there is some type of stabilizer that keeps the glove from losing its posture. Naturally other gloves tend to break in and the finger stalls tend to curve inwards. Pro Preferreds (personal experience) on the other hand keep there up right structure. I believe this is what many people dislike about the glove it just never seems to break in like other gloves. I believe the anatomy of a pro preferred would easiest explain it. However someone would have to sacrifice there glove and cut it up for science.

With that said the rigidity of the glove tends to cause alot rebound effect that causes pop out. I feel this alot with backhands.
swingman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Tweener510 » October 28th, 2008, 5:03 pm

I too mentioned the issue in passing with my pros17-IC. My theory is that because the leather in the palm is much thinner it doesn't deaden the impact of the ball. Its not like nice thick HOH leather that has some give to it. I had it happen twice in one game from line drives at third, reaching across my body (only one was an error though, that ball shot almost 20ft past the foul line!). Everything else about the glove was great and it worked especially well up the middle when I had more time to get my glove in proper position. Maybe a hybrid glove with an HOH palm with PP fingers is in order?
Tweener510
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Paulypal » October 28th, 2008, 5:10 pm

Funny thing about Pro Prefs.....

The leather is softer but a much harder break in than a HOH. In my opinion.

That just means that there are other materials besides leather which dont break in as easy...this may lead to your point of the rigidness causing balls to pop out easier.
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby RedSoxFan81 » October 29th, 2008, 3:10 am

I had the 11 3/4" pro preferred I web glove, and it always would kick balls out of the palm. My pro issue PRO 12-2K I web pro preferred didn't have this same effect as much. I try my best with pro preferred gloves to hammer on the palm area as much as possible. I try and work that area by hand too. I recently picked up a PRO 12-2JB HOH glove I had sold to a friend and honestly I could not go back to using it. It's too heavy for my liking. Plus I agree, pro preferreds stay stiff through the fingers / thumb and pinky. They will curve if you work them a bit and want that bowl shape to your glove. I'm gonna be buying another pro preferred tomorrow, I will let you guys know how that one feels and if I notice anything with it.
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information