More change at Nokona?

This is an archive section - it is read only

More change at Nokona?

Postby wickedwoman11 » October 22nd, 2008, 11:18 pm

A couple of years ago, I called Nokona and asked them for some laces to relace my glove. They were so kind and sent me four new laces free of charge. It was that customer service that led me to be such a big proponent of Nokona, all the way to driving all the way to the factory when I was in Dallas, and touting them to everyone I know.

Then in February, I asked when they were coming out with their new catalog. I was told via email that I would be placed on a list to receive one. Sure enough, this summer, I went to my mailbox and was pleased to see the catalog featuring the Kimeras, and other new beautiful gloves. I received it free of charge, and now, they had a true believer in me.

I was so impressed with the customer service that I mailed them a letter this Autumn thanking them, and I enclosed a photo of my beloved personalized glove as well as $5 (the going rate for their catalog). When I never heard back, I assumed no big deal, they are busy people, I didn't really expect a response (email or otherwise).

I was such a fan that I wanted to buy a Nokona shirt or hat, and wrote an email asking about their product selection. That was months ago and I never heard a response.

When I decided to take out the chocolate laces in my glove (it just didn't feel like mine anymore), I used those four laces they sent me a couple of years ago...it just seemed fitting to keep it 100% Nokona. Unfortunately, I needed one more long lace and one short to finish the glove. I finished it off with a couple of Tandy laces, but I didn't really care for the color difference (the Tandys were more yellow, less brown that what I was hoping to match).

Some of you know I took on this project while in Europe last month, so I emailed Nokona to ask if I could get a couple of the laces used in the Buffalo glove to finish the job. A couple of weeks, and my email, once again was never answered. Fortunately, I was on the forum, and one of you was kind enough to tell me to call and ask for the laces.

Unfortunately, I couldn't call myself long distance so I emailed my spouse, who made the call for me. I was so excited to know that when I got home I would have the laces waiting for me, and that I could finish off my glove properly. Unfortunately, either they sent the wrong ones, or they are using much different laces because unlike the medium brown I had before, these are much more orange or burnt sienna looking. Needless to say, the yellow Tandys are actually a closer match.

I figured oh well, it can't hurt to hang onto them, or maybe I would see if anyone here was interested in some new Nokona laces for free. That was before I got my credit card bill today, and found out they charged me $33 for those laces.

I'm kind of disappointed because not only are they unusable for my purposes, but it seems a little pricey to me. The worst of it is, they never told my spouse how much it would be. They just asked for a credit card number, and we figured it would be to cover shipping.

Anyway, moral of the story is, part of my love for that company was their amazing customer service. Now, after two unanswered emails, as well as being gouged for a few laces, I'm a little less enthusiastic. Don't get me wrong, that glove is still the most prized material possession I own, and I will love it until the day I die. I'm just a little down on its manufacturer right now. I'm sure I'll feel different in the light of day, it just seems like the family friendly company with the great gloves, is now just another corporation. Those of you who feel otherwise, I'd be interested to hear why. Particularly you Joe...I know you are still a big fan of the company. I'd love to fall in love with them again.

P.S. This weekend, I'm going to try some conditioner on the yellow laces in the hopes that it darkens them a bit so that the contrast is not quite so schocking.
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Yorick » October 23rd, 2008, 12:08 am

Wow that is pretty bad service. First negative story I heard about them, but it's pretty negative.
Yorick
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby RichieRich » October 23rd, 2008, 12:14 am

Well, that's not nice. :( Way to take care of a good customer, Nokona! They could have at least given you a $5 credit on those excessively priced laces.
RichieRich
Rookie Glove Poster

Laces

Postby GloveGypsy » October 23rd, 2008, 12:53 am

Hello WW11

I have some wheat/Indian tanned laces from Tanners. I could ship four or five gratis. They are 72" in length.

Premium stuff.

I would let the Nokona stuff slide, here's why:

You obviously love your AMG175BF. Something went very right for your to be smitten as much as you are by that glove. Protect your affection for this item and do not let a few misdirected, entry level employees to dim your experience. Some people never get the thrill that you obviously have. I think it is great and that you shouldn't risk that thrill by monkeying around with someone over the phone or by email.

My take: Find the laces that you need. Put them in. Be happy.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

customer service at Nocona

Postby softball66 » October 23rd, 2008, 8:08 am

WW. so sorry about your experience with the Nocona customer service! There is no excuse for not returning an email unless there is a technical problem. On the price of the laces, well, maybe new procedures have been put in place (cost analysis?). I don't know. But when I sent a used Nokona AMG600 in to be re-lined, repadded, re-laced, the cost of that kind of hit me between the eyes. LOL! I could have bought a new one once all my costs were assembled. I cut back on what was done. Now the gal I was working with there didn't know who I was and that's ok but they may be looking a little harder at their customer service area's pricing.
I've emailed your issue to the head man at Nocona. I'm sure he'll look into it.
If you need a Nokona T Shirt, lemme know.
Thanks for your loyalty to our USA glove maker.
Joe :wink:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » October 23rd, 2008, 12:02 pm

Thanks for the messages everyone. And Joe thanks for sending that on to the Nokona folks...it pays to know a great guy like you. I was just bummed because I'm their crazy unofficial ambassador on the West Coast.

GloveGypsy thanks for the advice. I think you are right. As crazy as it sounds, this glove means the world to me (who the heck else would take a baseball glove with them when they go out of town and have no hopes of playing catch with anyone?). You are right. Nothing could sully that glove for me. That is why I was so obsessed with finding the "perfect" laces for it. And thank you so much for the offer of the laces, you are so sweet. But I couldn't take them for free, as generous as that would be. If I could buy a couple from you (at least paying for shipping if nothing else), though that would be much appreciated. They sent me 6 but I really only need one or two just to finish my webbing and palm properly.

In the end, despite all my grumblings, how do I know I'm still a Nokona maniac? Because this morning, I was seriously contemplating buying this http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-NOKONA-AM ... 286.c0.m14 on Ebay. :wink:
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

reply from Head of Nocona

Postby softball66 » October 23rd, 2008, 12:44 pm

To W. W.
"Joe,

Thanks for the email . If this lady wants to return the lacing, I will credit her credit card for the amount. Yes, the laces are "pricey". Most people don't realize what the goods one's cost. I don't have all the details of this order, but the laces are normally about $3-5 each depending on length.

As for color, we have not changed colors of tan laces in all the time I have worked here, but obviously, the color will vary from time to time.

If she is local to Texas, we would love to invite her to Nocona for a tour and free lunch.

Rob
softball66

Re: reply from Head of Nocona

Postby wickedwoman11 » October 23rd, 2008, 1:07 pm

softball66 wrote:To W. W.
"Joe,

Thanks for the email . If this lady wants to return the lacing, I will credit her credit card for the amount. Yes, the laces are "pricey". Most people don't realize what the goods one's cost. I don't have all the details of this order, but the laces are normally about $3-5 each depending on length.

As for color, we have not changed colors of tan laces in all the time I have worked here, but obviously, the color will vary from time to time.

If she is local to Texas, we would love to invite her to Nocona for a tour and free lunch.

Rob

Thanks a lot Joe. Hmm, that is some awful expensive shipping for six laces to come to $33. Thank you so much. I probably will give them a call this week and send the laces back. That is so weird that the color is orangey but they haven't changed the tan laces. Oh well. Thanks so much, I'm pleased to see that they really value you and got back to you.

Also please thank Rob for the kind offer of a tour and lunch. That was sweet. Unfortunately, Los Angeles is a wee bit too far to travel from. :D
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » October 23rd, 2008, 1:30 pm

wickedwoman11 wrote:I was just bummed because I'm their crazy unofficial ambassador on the West Coast.

WW,
Like you, I had been (emphasis on past tense), a very vocal advocate for Nokona. Like you, I also am absolutely crazy about my AMG650CW. For my money there's not a better glove around. I had also heard many, many stories over the years about the top notch customer service that others had experienced in their dealings with Nokona. It seems that almost everyone that I spoke with had a story about how they had been treated in the repair of a glove or in the assistance given, and how pleased that they were to be treated so well. I've had several experiences in the past few months which left me both surprised and disappointed. My take on all of this is that Nokona is not all that interested in customer service anymore, that is unless the end result is a big chunk of change for them. Now I fully understand that they're in business to make money and for that I do not begrudge them in the least. But, having been personally involved in a customer service business for the last 20 years I can tell you this, IF YOU TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS POORLY, THEY WILL NOT BE YOUR CUSTOMERS FOR VERY LONG! This change of philosophy at Nokona seems to be a direct result of the fire that destroyed their plant. Maybe they're still trying to financially recoup from that so they can stay in business. I don't know what the reasons are but I do know this, I will no longer be a vocal advocate of Nokona or their products. They have completely soured me on their company's customer service and some of the product lines that they are now producing (handcrafted in China????) are not up to Nokona's previous high quality standards, not even close. I had wanted a Nokona glove for many, many years. I was absolutely thrilled 3 years ago when my wife presented me with mine as a Christmas gift. I was overwhelmed, to say the least. I love that glove as much as you love yours WW. However, having said all that I will not, under any circumstances, ever buy another Nokona glove, period. I don't appreciate shabby and inconsiderate customer service, especially in light of all the good will that I've spread for them through word of mouth. I didn't need to talk them up, that was my choice based on the enthusiasm I have for my glove. I did that because I was impressed with their products and customer service and I wanted others to know. That was then, this is now. Times have changed, Nokona has changed. I wish them well in the future, but they have definitely lost this customer, and I'm quite sure that based on the recent experiences that I've had, it doesn't even matter to them. Just my two cents.

br

P.S. By the way, $3-$5 per 72" of lace is not only pricey, it's obscenely ridiculous. Top quality laces from Tanner's or Triple C run $1.35 or $1.05 respectively. Who's kidding who here? For my money, this is the best quality rawhide lacing that I've ever seen.
wjr953

Postby bs » October 23rd, 2008, 1:57 pm

wjr953 wrote:They have completely soured me on their company's customer service and some of the product lines that they are now producing (handcrafted in China????) are not up to Nokona's previous high quality standards, not even close.

Their handcrafted in China glove is not meant to live up to the same quality that is why the price is not the same. Just like a RBG36 is not close to a PRO1000, give them a break.
bs
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » October 23rd, 2008, 2:09 pm

bs wrote:give them a break.

Thank you for your most poignant insight.

VBR, br
wjr953

Postby glovin » October 23rd, 2008, 2:36 pm

wjr953 wrote:
wickedwoman11 wrote:I was just bummed because I'm their crazy unofficial ambassador on the West Coast.

WW,
Like you, I had been (emphasis on past tense), a very vocal advocate for Nokona. Like you, I also am absolutely crazy about my AMG650CW. For my money there's not a better glove around. I had also heard many, many stories over the years about the top notch customer service that others had experienced in their dealings with Nokona. It seems that almost everyone that I spoke with had a story about how they had been treated in the repair of a glove or in the assistance given, and how pleased that they were to be treated so well. I've had several experiences in the past few months which left me both surprised and disappointed. My take on all of this is that Nokona is not all that interested in customer service anymore, that is unless the end result is a big chunk of change for them. Now I fully understand that they're in business to make money and for that I do not begrudge them in the least. But, having been personally involved in a customer service business for the last 20 years I can tell you this, IF YOU TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS POORLY, THEY WILL NOT BE YOUR CUSTOMERS FOR VERY LONG! This change of philosophy at Nokona seems to be a direct result of the fire that destroyed their plant. Maybe they're still trying to financially recoup from that so they can stay in business. I don't know what the reasons are but I do know this, I will no longer be a vocal advocate of Nokona or their products. They have completely soured me on their company's customer service and some of the product lines that they are now producing (handcrafted in China????) are not up to Nokona's previous high quality standards, not even close. I had wanted a Nokona glove for many, many years. I was absolutely thrilled 3 years ago when my wife presented me with mine as a Christmas gift. I was overwhelmed, to say the least. I love that glove as much as you love yours WW. However, having said all that I will not, under any circumstances, ever buy another Nokona glove, period. I don't appreciate shabby and inconsiderate customer service, especially in light of all the good will that I've spread for them through word of mouth. I didn't need to talk them up, that was my choice based on the enthusiasm I have for my glove. I did that because I was impressed with their products and customer service and I wanted others to know. That was then, this is now. Times have changed, Nokona has changed. I wish them well in the future, but they have definitely lost this customer, and I'm quite sure that based on the recent experiences that I've had, it doesn't even matter to them. Just my two cents.

br

P.S. By the way, $3-$5 per 72" of lace is not only pricey, it's obscenely ridiculous. Top quality laces from Tanner's or Triple C run $1.35 or $1.05 respectively. Who's kidding who here? For my money, this is the best quality rawhide lacing that I've ever seen.

seriously guys...who cares if they're not spending every moment of their time worrying about gloves they already sold...in my opinion, as long as they produce gloves that fit your hand better than any other company, you should continue to buy from them...are you saying that because they don't respond to e-mails that you are willing to buy from a company with a lesser quality glove? and it's not like rawlings or wilson have awesome customer service either
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 23rd, 2008, 2:50 pm

Interesting discussion. The laces I've seen on buffalo gloves have definitely been a lighter beige/tan than the orange-ish tinted laces on other gloves.

Two questions come to mind:

- GloveGypsy: How did you come by "wheat" colored laces from Tanner's? All of the tan laces I've ever ordered from them are a dark tan/orange color.

- Wickedwoman: I'm just curious how Nokona got your credit card number in the first place. Someone would have had to give it to them and, when asked for it, must have realized some charges might be involved. If someone is asking for my credit card number the two things I want to know are why and for how much!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby wjr953 » October 23rd, 2008, 3:01 pm

glovin wrote:seriously guys...who cares if they're not spending every moment of their time worrying about gloves they already sold...

Well, at the risk of overstating the obvious here, I care and certainly WW cares or neither one of us would have taken the time to post the comments that we did. WW expressed her opinion, and I expressed mine. And now....., you have expressed yours. Isn't that what this forum is supposed be about? Ahhhh, freedom of speech, what a remarkably refreshing concept!

br
wjr953

Postby bledwett » October 23rd, 2008, 3:02 pm

I consider myself a Nokona expert, I own about 75 Nokonas, the laces are different on the Amg-175BF, they are the same color as the buffalo leather. On the model Amg-12000BMT they are that orangish color. I think they are the only laces they use now. All the laces included with a Nokona glove purchase are those orangish color laces. I ordered alot directly from them and I had a mix up, but I called them and it was sraighten out right away. To me they are going through some changes, which means they are getting bigger, so I expect some growing pains. They redisgned the website so that why the email werent being returned. I talk to the ladies who answer the phones like twice a month and they are always sincere and tell me we to expect my stuff. I think they sent those laces not relizing that the glove was a 175 buffalo model. That sounds expensive but I always say you get what you pay for. My buffalo glove is 5 years old and still holding strong and is 100 times nicer than any pro preffered model. And if you haven't got a Kimera yet, get one they are awesome
bledwett
Rookie Glove Poster

Next

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information